FM Concept Rod

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I've done a quick search of the site and have found an article on the FM Concept rod along with 3 reviews going back a few years.

Does anyone still own one?

If so what are your thoughts and experiences and what fish have you caught?

Regards

Andy

J

john conway CSG

Andy I have two concept rods and over the last two years all my chub and barbel fishing on the Ribble has been done with these two rods, including a surprised birthday trip to Ireland pike fishing,3 pike between 12lb to 15lb. So far on the Ribble its been chub to 6lb-8oz, barbel to 12lb and a one off mirror carp just under 14lb. The rods can cast a 3oz feeder 50M or a 2oz bomb 80M. The beauty of the rods to me is its' through action and the ease of playing a very lively barbel right under the rod tip and of course the short butt.If or when I manage to damage one of my rods, I would certainly replace it with another concept rod.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

These rods were designed by Graham and myself in conjunction with one or two other top class anglers who are members of FM. John Conway was one of them.

The concept was to have a rod that had a test curve of 1 1/2 lbs that would be capable of handling a wide variety of species from roach and bream, to pike and carp with lines from about 5 lbs to 12 lbs bs. The blank incorporates compound tapers just like the old Mk IV carp rod. It has a through action that as John says is ideal for playing hard fighting fish in situations where you do not have to hook and hold.

I have two of them including the original prototype. I have caught all sorts of fish with them including double figure Trent barbel to good tench, chub, double figure zanderand pike approaching 20 lbs.

Any decent fish puts a lovely action curve into the rod.

At 11 feet, its a bit too short for most float fishing situations but you will find it great for many others.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Someone on here posted that they'd contacted Harrisons and was told they are now out of production .......

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I'd assume that the Chimera Avon had possibly "replaced" this blank as that too is a 1.5TC 11 footer.

I'm still interested in the views as the FM Concept rod specification sounds ideal for all my still water fishing.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Concept rods are no longer produced, I know this for sure because I took the trouble to ring Harrisons a couple of months ago when my son was after one, it is superceded by the Avon but isn't the same blanks, they told me it was a one off and very underpriced which is why they dropped it. My lad obtained one off Ebay for about £70 and is over the moon with it.

R

The original rod only sold for £99.00, which was very low considering it was a British blank and local assembly.

There is no doubt that this rod would have to be sold at £170 to£200 to make it viable for Harrisons to make them again.

H

Huw (ACA)

This concept rod sounds exactly what I have been looking for, any ideas if they are available 2nd hand anywhere???

R

I often wonder how many of them were built. Graham would know.

They were first sold through Harrison distributors such as Leslies of Luton. The basic spec was stripped of all unneccesary cosmetics to get the price as low as possible. However the finest SIC rings were fitted, as well as a keeper ring. The rings on the prototype were single leg. However they were changed to 3 leg SiCs for the final production model.

The handle was 23" long -cork, fitted with a down locking Fuji screw reel seat. Whippings were plain black. The blank was left unvarnished and matt. Only the whippings were varnished.

The taper of the rod was the secret to its action. It was a through action rod with a faster taper in the final 18" of the tip. The butt final3 feet tapered much faster to impart power in the butt section.

For nearly 2 years I used both my rods on the Trent for barbel fishing. The only weakness was when they were called on to cast leads in excess of 3 oz, although I could get such a weight more than half way across the river with ease.

There was never a problem landing Trent barbel up to double figures. The Concept is a great rod tocontrol a plunging big fish under the rod tip. It is very forgiving.

I also have a Harrison Sulis Avon. The action is different - more "pokey" if you ask me.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Hi Ron/John

Thanks for the feedback relating to the Concept Rod. I assume from your post on cost that obtaining a pair of these rods now would be as rare as finding rocking horse poo.

Obviuosly you guys own the rods and have had considerable input into their design.

Would you therefore say that the 11 foot Chimera Avon blank was on a par or not?

Is the action the same as the test curve seems to be (1.5lbs TC)?

I only ever fish in waters were a double figure carp <20lbs is the biggets thing in there. I'm not a carp angler just like to enjoy myself and I don't like to be too overgunned. I also like a rod to bend and do what its designed to do, soak up the lunges of the fish rather than skull dragging them out.

Thanks in advance

Andy

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Andy..........Ron personallyhand whittled the mandril for the concept from a wood only found in deepest darkest SA, painstaikily carried out whilst inbetween blanking on the Trent........think thats what he said, twas a bad line....he could have been in his tent, doing something.

You ask the great rod engineer and designer if the 11ft Chimera blank is the same......you heathen!!

J

john conway CSG

Andy, two rods can have the same test curve but different actions. Basically, a through action rod bends from the butt where as a stiffer action rod starts to bend much further up the rod. i.e. all the action is in the top section. (Sorryre the explanation if you already know this) I've never fished with a 11 foot Chimera Avon blank so I don't know if they have the same action?

I supose we need to ask someone who has fished with both?

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Just spoke to Harrisons and they have said that the Chimera Avon is very similar and is available.

Also, the FishingMagic Concept can be remade but the cost would be approx £60 more than the original price tag. Sounds like the guys that bought the early ones got a real bargain.

R

Coupled with that but the cost of carbon fibre scrim has escalated considerably in the past few years due to demand by the aerospace industry.

J

john conway CSG

I don't know what you think Ron but £99 + £60 is still not a bad deal for the realy good rod? My two are still going strong, but they don't half get some stick.

Andy did you get a price for the Chimers Avon?

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Chimera Avon Custom Build - not by Harrisons

Chimera Avon Blank in Ultra Matt finish

Fuji Ali Oxides 9 + tip

Fuji DNPS 18mm

Stainless collar above and below reel seat

Full Duplon

Stainless Button

£160 delivered is what mine cost me.

I like all black rods.

I asked the question about the FM Concept to see whether i should spend what id now £300 on a pair or obtain another Chimera Avon for the £160 - what a dilema!!!!!.

Now I'm really stuck as the FM Concept can still be made! Aaargh!

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Andy I had a chimera avon 11ft custom made for me by Harrisons. I've landed all my biggest carp on it and its coped brilliantly. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another should I ever need one.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Chiristian, what size of fish has it caught? My biggest carp is a 17.5lber - so you can see the type of fish I target aren't too large in the scheme of things.

Hence the want of a softer more fun rod

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I am somewhat bemused by this £99 tag because Harrisons told me that the real price was £140, was the £99 price tag a one off for FM's or what. If the real price is £140 then an extra £60 would shoot the price up into a very expensive rod, is it worth it when there are other rods that will do the same job at a much reduced cost?