Float rods for Carp

T

Tickle

I like float fishing for carp, however on the venue I fish, most of the carp hug a shallow silty area near large reed bed that is a 70yard cast, most fish average 10lb but run into the 20s, I don't have float rod that can cope with fishing for these fish at such range. Any rod recommendations?

T

Tony O'dell

Depends on snags etc, but in open water i use large sliders combined with a 13ft 1 1/2 test John Wilson Barbel Rod. A bargain at about ?70 pounds. This rods was also put into use a Sywell Fishing large floats at distace for tench.

R

Rob Brownfield

Ben, i use a 12 foot 1 3/4 test curve carp rod from North Western Blanks. I can cast a weighted float "about" that fay with 8 pound line...but..i would not use this set up if snags are near by.

B

Birds Nest

I cant see 70 yards, let alone focus on a float...

You could look at the nashy Hooliguns....

Better still it might be worth looking at Riks article about fishing close to snags...

BN

T

Tickle

There are no real snags other than the reeds around the bankside, "normal" carp rods do not have the right action for float fishing.

Rob how much does the north western rods cost?

Any other rod suggestions...

G

gary magee

Try a leeda Zoo Creature, its 12 ft and comes with 2 top sections one for fishing the bagging waggler (floating method) or a really big chucking waggler. And another tip for fishing a conventional method feeder. It costs about 70 odd quid and was designed by Steve Gregory for fishing at DRAYTON as this guy held the record for hauling carp in a 5 hour match I Think he knows a thing or two about float fishing for carp.

P

Paul Williams

Float fishing for carp at 70 yds!.....i'm with the guys who couldn't see the float.....and i pressume small particles are the bait to carry a float rig that far....without tangles?

R

Rob Brownfield

Paul...boillies..but the float I use is not perhaps "delicate"..lol It takes nearly 2oz of lead!!