Rod Refurbishment

Shanghai Lilly

Reaction score
I have A few rod building questions, I’m hoping a few of you can help me with, I want to get rod redone, new handle rings and ties, but before I start stripping stuff of I wondered how you remove the old epoxy finish? I really want to go back to the carbon if possible.Secondly can anyone recommend a good, contemporary rod building guide book? By the by It’s an unground carbon blank Many thanks in advance!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

What epoxy finish are you talking about? the whipping coating or is the whole blank covered?........if its the whipping a lot may come off with the whipping....i use a new craft knife to cut into the lot but avoiding the blank by running the blade up the foot of the ring.

I can only suggest you then keep sanding with decreasing wet and dry untill the blank is ready for rebuild...but you will smooth the unground bit too if you are to enthusiastic

I used to build all my own rods, loved it....good luck.

Shanghai Lilly

Reaction score
Thanks Paul!

Please excuse my rod building ignorance! The epoxy on the ties is that same used on the blanks in most cases? I want a slightly different ring spacing on the refurb, so if I leave the epoxy on the blank I’m going to have make good the spots where the rings where, so I think going back to the carbon is the only way to go.

Mind you those ridges on the blank make it look very tuff to achieve an even finish. Part of me wants to just send the lot of to rod builder, but the other wants a satisfying winter project, I’m little concerned I might end up with a right dog’s dinner! Any tips for removing the old cork, there 5in parallels, just get stuck in with a Stanley knife? Or heat it up?

Cheers!

Ps just seen I can buy the same blank for £60 at “guides and blanks”, might get that for the rod in its present condition! Decisions decisions!!!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

It is very difficult to bring an unground rod down too it's original state without some smoothing of the blank....and therefore, depending on make some possible reduction in strength.........best see how the epoxy on the rings comes off and what marks are left...but if you want the rings in different places again coplete removal is a delicate thing........some sort of chemical remover may be uaeful if not left to attack the blank itself? but only with great care......probably just varnish of some type on the blank.

The crk can be stripped as you say with stanley knifeand then hjust smoothed to a finish to take the new...but is the crk bad? it comes up pretty good with washing up liquid water and elbow grease.

Don't know where you are based but"Bob the rod" at Fosters in Brum takes some beating for a refurb if you decide you want someone else to do it............but it is an enjoyable thing to do yourself....especially with one rod as opposed to a matching trio.

Shanghai Lilly

Reaction score
The rods in top nick really, the cork handle has sliding Roberts reel fittings that I just can’t get on with, I thought they would be more comfortable, I was wrong, plus they leave me paranoid, especially when the rods made up with my pin on. Horrid things! I fancy a reversed screw down this time, so there’s more cork instead of thread. The more I think about it, selling it on and buying the blank seems like amuch better option, And a far more pleasant project.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

By the way................... I like the Purepiscator site

(trying to work out which member of the Work Party you are)

Shanghai Lilly

Reaction score
Hi Ed!

I’m the illiterate big mouth!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The Harrison sites a gold mine, cheers!By the by the rod I’m looking to dothe refurb on is built on a Harrison blank, its one of Davis tackles Avon’s

Fred Blake on here is also a working party member; I imagine there are a few others as well!

Glad you enjoy the site!!