taking a sicky off work(to go fishing)

A

Alan Areskog

Have any members taken a day off work by saying they were ill,just to go fishing.and did it backfire on them.It did for me i snapped my rod and stepped on my landing net handle.

J

John Pleasance

It backfires on me to the tune of a days wages every time without fail. I'm self employed,no work no dosh! :eek:(

A

Ashe Hurst

Did a sicky for fishing once.
Got to the tackle shop with my friend and his dad,they went in whilst i phoned in sick from the pay phone,whilst explaining to my boss what was wrong,my best mate mark,who knew why i was on the phone,poked his head out the door and shouted "Do you want a 1 rod or 2 rod ticket" Like an idiot i tried to cover hes rantting by coughing.
Didnt work,boss went ape.

P

Paul Williams

Years ago my old boss had me in the office and asked me why i went awol for a few days on June 15th,every year! .......i told him it was pure coincidence!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
My first experience of skiving off to go fishing was at junior school in music class. I used to sit at the back of the class, get my 'mark' when they called the register, then slip off through the window.

Yes, it did backfire on me, today I can't even play a paper and comb. But I'd rather go fishing anyway!

S

Stuart Johnson

Its never backed fire on me, coz I have never skived of work.

Skive

M

Malcolm Bason

When I did my knee in last year (which some of you will take great delight in remembering LOL) I was on a sickie then! I fibbed and told the boss I had slipped on the mud in the back garden. Then a few months later after I had the carteledge op, I let it slip that actually slipped on the river bank - he did'nt say anything - he did'nt need to, the look said it all.

C

Craig Smith

I've never been caught out since being in work (still plenty of time) but I can remember when I was still in school I had my leg in plaster after tearing my achilies. I got my old man to take me to a local pit only to find after a couple of hrs a teacher and his son arrived!!! On a good note I still fish with him and his son on the odd occassion.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Stuart Johnson, I don't know how you can have the neck to say it! The "Urgent meeting with customer in Birmingham" ploy on a Friday afternoon must be wearing a bit thin now ain't it Skive?

M

Mike Parker

Ahh! everyone at work knows that I spend most of my spare time fishing. I devote large amounts of time telling everyone (bosses) what I caught, if anything!, and explaining what the ideal fishing conditions are you know, bright sunshine, high pressure, high water temp etc. etc. so when I take a sicky when conditions are ideal everyone thinks I really am.

P

Phil Hackett

My favourite trick for skiving off work to go fishing was to bury a grandparent.
I must have put each one in the ground at least 4 times!
It became a standing joke from the chargehand who was also an angler, to ask me what I’d caught on my return to work, even when I’d been to a funeral!

S

Stuart Bullard

I never take sickies, I just go fishing and say I am on the road. However last summer my boss called me on the mobile. Of course, as would happen, the alarms screamed and off went the baitrunner. Told him I would call him back, only to get an text message asking how big the fish was!!