The Great Escape

dangermouse

Reaction score
Just opened my fridge to find that the condensation that occasionally forms in the top has dripped down into the open container of maggots I had in the bottom. Result, damp maggots that can escape from the container. So I`ve spent the last half hour picking up maggots from the fridge and floor. Don`t think too many have gotten away but I dare say I`ll be able to tell in the next couple of days :( :eek:

Terry D

Reaction score
Had the same happen with a pint of disco pinkies. The wife didn't like a pink fridge but I was then able to get a bait fridge for the garage - deep joy.

rich_m

Reaction score
Reminds me of a similar incident when I was a junior...Mum not best pleased!
Have you tried putting maggots in the fridge in a plastic bag with the air squeezed out, so they go into a coma? I tried it last week for 3 days, didn't think they'd come back to life but slowly and surely the maggot miracle took place!

Bluenose

Reaction score
I had a load of worms escape about 12 years ago, like a scene from a cheap horror film!

Oh and it wasn't me that found them!

dangermouse

Reaction score
Cant help laughing, serves you right, does the missus know. :D:D

Thought it would provide some amusement. Not married so no worries on that score. One of the perks of being single, I can keep whatever I want in my fridge and no complaints. ;)

Have you tried putting maggots in the fridge in a plastic bag with the air squeezed out, so they go into a coma? I tried it last week for 3 days, didn't think they'd come back to life but slowly and surely the maggot miracle took place!

Yeah I`ve done that before, kept them that way for over a week and most of them did the Lazarus trick.

The annoying thing is I`ve been keeping them in the cellar but with the weather getting warmer I noticed a few were turning so I transfered them to the fridge.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Dangermouse, check the fridge door seal, if they've decided to 'house' themselves in there its a job for the vacuum cleaner.

Once had to completely clear out the fridge at 5.30am before fishing.

dangermouse

Reaction score
Dangermouse, check the fridge door seal, if they've decided to 'house' themselves in there its a job for the vacuum cleaner.

Once had to completely clear out the fridge at 5.30am before fishing.

Thanks for the tip, I`ll check that out. Just found a few more of the little buggers.

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:42 ----------

I had a load of worms escape about 12 years ago, like a scene from a cheap horror film!

Oh and it wasn't me that found them!

I bet you weren`t popular at home for a while. :D

simon dunbar

Reaction score
A few years ago , near the end of the season , I had some maggotts escape from a box in the front of my car. Scooped them all up and forgot about it.
A few weeks later on a really warm spring day approached my car , after a days work , to see a scene like something from the Amytiville Horror movie , my front window crawling with freshly hatched bluebottles.....took me a while to get them out of the car. The next day the same thing again!!

Windy

Reaction score
its a job for the vacuum cleaner.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

Stop right there, put down the hose and back away from the Hoover now.

I once made the mistake of trying to hoover up an infestation of escapers when a pint or so being riddled escaped.

Never ever do this. The smell of burnt dried dead maggot parts and juices liberally distributed within the innards of a hoover is unsustainable and unbearable and permanent.

Goodbye old hoover, hello expensive new one.

Plus chocolates, flowers, a weekend away and whatever else it takes to restore domestic harmony.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Luxury ! I once had 4 gallons get loose in a Ford Capri in Ireland. Most suffocated [hot weather,no lid] and this was the sum total of our bait for the week. Spent all the next day stripping the car and scraping together what we could.

The dead un's we mixed with pig meal,balled into a lake we fancied that evening and had 200 lb of bream off it the next day.

dangermouse

Reaction score
Update

By Friday evening I`d only seen one bluebottle and I was congratulating myself on my clean-up job. Then late last night another 3 appeared, they seemed somewhat groggy and I despatched those easily with a rolled-up newspaper.

This morning another 2 or 3 were buzzing around and they too have felt the wrath of the Dearne-Valley Weekender (Which apart from the fishing match reports is the most service this local rag has ever given me). I`ve just noticed another on the kitchen window but as yet it has evaded my swatting attempts. Hopefully it`s the last of the escapees.

As an aside to this saga, it`s occurred to me how remarkable it is that a bluebottle emerges from a pupae that seems far too small to hold such a large insect.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
"As an aside to this saga, it`s occurred to me how remarkable it is that a bluebottle emerges from a pupae that seems far too small to hold such a large insect".

It's known as the Tardis effect............

Totally Absurd Ratio Developing Inside Shell

What say you.......