Do you remember

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

On another thread, it was asked if you could list the scientific names for some of the most common British freshwater fish. For those of you who think that those who can are snobbish eggheads, let me tell you that in the 50s and early 60s, anyone who was worth his salt as an angler, had an Angling Times dairy. And was a member of the AT Kingfisher Guild.

This was a marvellous little book that I alway got for a Christmas present somehow.

In the dairy were facts like the current record fish list, identification guides to the various species including fin and ray counts and all the scientific names of the fishes. As youngsters, we learned all those names by heart.

I'm sure Graham will remember those diaries too.

I wonder why AT don't produce another dairy for anglers?

There were also instructions on how to claim a recordand howto report a specimen fish to AT. And there was a section where you could list your day's fishing and the fish you caught in a year.

They were marvellous little books, bound in leather too.

What memories!

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Maybe Graham could get som FM diaries in that style and knock them out a cost price to us members.

Sound like something I would find useful

Reaction score
I would buy one if they got made

and would talk to the boss for distribution in our tackle shop if you wanted

W

Wolfman Woody

"For those of you who think that those who can are snobbish eggheads, let me tell you that in the 50s and early 60s, anyone who was worth his salt as an angler, had an Angling Times dairy. And was a member of the AT Kingfisher Guild."

I wasn't a member and I never had one. I came from a poor family, denied of any luxuries like bread and jam. Six of us having to share one garden cane each waiting for the others to catch then you could have your turn. I never got the Angling Times until I started work and even then had to borrow a mates copy. I was 20 before I could afford my own copy and by then they wouldn't have me in the Kingfisher Guild.

And before you think it - THAT is a serious reply!

Almost.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Don't worry Ron....you are more than a number in my little red book.

See you at the xmas "do" /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gifxxx

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

"Garden" - "Garden"!!!

We didn't have a garden. All 36 of us had to share a dung heap patch next to t' cess pit and every morning they emptied the cess pit on us. We were only too happy to eat the hard lumps in t' slime from t' cess pit!

But we were happy in them days.

Thi don't know thi born today!!!

F

Fred Bonney

So Woody,is that where you got your taste for, armpit warmed gudgeon?

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Ronold chap -we have plenty of gardens to spare up at the Hall - and what's this about snobbery - stop nicking my threads -

Bread and jam mmmmm neverr heard of this - is it like pate on toast?

Tally ho