Interview with Pike Master Derek Gibson

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Enjoyed that Ron.

There must be loads of top anglers out there like Derek who have never been interested in becoming a name.

Maybe we could get a few more top anglers, known or unknown, to submit to Ron"The Paxman" Clay?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

Although your average angler will have never heard of him, the name Derek Gibson commands the utmost respect amongst all the top pike anglers.

R

Got one coming up on the Fens shortly Nick.

CAT

Reaction score
Nice interview Ron, very interesting, i fished Dam Flask for the first time last week spinningand my mate had a nice 22lb Pike second chuckon aSpinner Bait, apparently it getsvery busy in the winter but its a nice venueand worth a visit.

R

Make no mistake, your mate did very well.

But it goes to prove that the spinnerbait is probably the best predator lure of all time.

An American innovation of course.

R

Go for it Boyo!

By the way Bach, have you ever tried Bosherston Lake on the Gower Peninsula?

Welsh Goff I Do luv My Sheep

Reaction score
I was down there a couple of months back Ron only for a walk around the ponds, my brother had a 19 punder a good few years ago now lovely place the lily ponds.

R

Bosherston was one of the classic pike waters in the 50s. It did produce fish to 30 lbs.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Dam Flask is hard hard hard hard hard hard hard hard hard

Don't anybody bother with it!

NO no no no no no no no ....Not worth it at all

Ron...its a North Midlands Resevoir!!!

G

Gary Knowles

I aint fished the flask for years.

used to be nice up at the neck eeeend !

Lee Swords

Reaction score
In all seriousness though a few years ago a lot of the big girls were killed deliberatly by match anglers and bad anglers and there are now millions of 6-8lbers

It is a nice water though but it isnt all pike and it can be rock hard when its off

But it's where I learned how to fish and so it will alaways be very close to my heart

G

Gary Knowles

"lot of the big girls were killed deliberatly by match anglers"

Thats always seemed to be the way years agoin Yorkshire Lee, big pike, small pike whatever, picked up by the eye sockets and thrown up the bank.

Icame close to a good hiding once when i tackled a bloke doing just that years ago, I didnt realise he was fishing with 4 of his mates and threatened to pick him up by the eye sockets if I saw him do it again !!!!!

R

Neville Fickling once wrote an article in the Angling Star about what he called: "The Killing Triangle"

The "Killing Triangle" is an area from Sheffield to Worksop, then across to Doncaster and then back to Sheffield. In this area, virtually all pike, other than those caught by educated people, were killed. It doesn't take you long if you live in this area to understand that by far the vast majority of anglers are matchmen. It's a traditional thing you see. They, over vast numbers of years have been indictrinated into the "Draw Bag" the "peg" and the "weigh-in" 5 hours later. Lots of them know no other thing. And a big predator that grabs their small roach, a fish that just might earn them first place, is enemy number 1.

All this is a great shame of course.

A few years ago I was lure fishing on the South Yorkshire Navigation Canal. I caught a pike of about 9 lbs. As I released it, several match anglers threatened to lynch me.

Personally I've hated the match fishing attitude ever since. And like **** Walker once said: "I wish that match angling had never been invented."

T

Tony Rocca

Very good piece that Ron, I enjoyed it.

Caught my first ever fish from the Flask, a roach and a trout.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"I wish that match angling had never been invented."

Oh boy, here we go . . . . . . . again!

. . . and this time ably assisted by Lee.

Just out of interest, gentlemen, I wonder how all those nasty match anglers managed to land all those nice Pike, seeing as how they were probably using 2lb B/S main lines and 1.7 lb B/S hooklengths at the time.

They must have been some anglers to manage that!