Reels

Paul Whitting

Reaction score
Hello i am new to fishing and am beachcasting but am looking for a new reel (to many to choose from) i have looked at a "Mitchell avocet g4000" can you help please
eye_rolling_smiley.gif
or any other ideas?

C

Colin North, the one and only

Hello Paul,

If you are using a multiplier, Abu Mag-elite, Diawa Millionaire,and Penn are all reliable makes. Also, Shimano. Really, a lot depends on where you fish, and whether you need to make long casts, or tough it out among rocks and kelp, inwhich case you might choose two completely different reels.

Mitchell used to make some excellent fixed spools, but I haven't seen one for years. Penn make some nice fixed spools. There are plenty of budget priced ones around, as well.

Colin

Paul Whitting

Reaction score
Thanks Colin i am fishing off rocks and through kelp with a fixed spool Shakespeare which is not great i have heard using a multiplier is harder? Its like being a kid in a candy store looking at all of the reels on the market.

David Craine

Reaction score
I would not use a fixed spool myself in Kelp, even the best makes do not have the cranking power of a decent multiplier...plus they are not really designed to cope with lines of 30lb plus, which I use to combat the rubbing effects of the rocks on the line.

For rock fishing I use a Penn 535 Multiplier, tough as old boots, it has centrifugal brakes, and it will really pay off if you take the time develop multiplier casting skills.. if you are a bit unsure, there will no doubt be a casting instructor in your area who would be able to help, you will not be casting so far if you are rock fishing,so you wont need tournement casting skills, ask in your local tackle shop, they usually are very helpful, or check out one of the monthly sea angling magazines, they usually have casting instructor lists.

Oh, and a rod designed for a fixed spool reel would not be suitable for a multiplier, it will have the wrong ring spacings .

Costly business this sea fishing lark..

Tight lines.

Dave.