River Chub Rod Recommendations

Luke Haines

Reaction score
Hello forum members,
I am looking for recommendations for a traditional cane/bamboo rod suitable for fishing for Chub.

I prefer to fish trotting and touch ledging methods.

I will be fishing mainly the River Ouse and its tributries around Buckingham

All advice welcome.

Kind Regards

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I've no real experience with cane rods (normally use them in summer to support the sweet peas :)) but perhaps you could do no worse than a Peter Stone Legerstrike. I think he would say it's what it was designed for.

As it happens, I have one, but it's not for sale at any price.

Well, a couple of thousand perhaps....... ;)

chav professor

Reaction score
A B James, Richard Walker MkIV avon, superb for touch ledgering, fishing with a bobbin or even if using a bow in the line as a quiver. Cane is relatively soft in the tip and will give a wrap round of sorts.

6lb40ozchubYESSSS017.jpg

6lb4oz caught on 'free-lined' maggot, a single BB shot 4ft from a size 20 hook to 1lb14oz hook link. I have used this rod for trotting, it is quite light - for split cane, but at 11ft, it has its limitations........ I have used a Sealy Octofloat for trotting, but it is very heavy after a while and IMO trotting should be a pleasure, not a chore. if you are into running a float down a glide get yourself a nice piece of carbon fibre.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yep, you can certainly have some fun on the river with an old BJ MKV Avon although rarely use mine these days - also had still water carp to 27lb 10oz on it.
Jerry

PS You'll find it's slightly more limited than you think Chav at 10'2";)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Another 'vote' for the B James, Richard Walker MkIV Avon rod.

I've lost count of the Chub I've taken on my one; I got it for a 'song' but spent 300 on the refurbishment.

Luke Haines

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

I am considering restoring an old cane rod, have had some experience building fly rods so think I might as well use those skills to some affect.

Kind Regards