BBC South Today

Yacko

Reaction score
I only caught the tail-end of this but there was a report about women being taught fly-fishing to help them recuperate from illness/ surgery etc.

The good news is that there was nothing but positive comments for angling, how it helped them forget their worries and how the casting gave them the exercise they needed for recovery etc.

Having read posts in the past about nothing but bad publicity for angling I think it important to note perhaps something that ‘bucks the trend’- hope there more of it.

J

Jeff Spiller

Hi Yacko, anyone being taught how to fish must be a good thing, even the ladie's.

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
"Casting for Recovery"

The England Ladies Flyfishing Association and the Countryside Alliance have joined forces to launch Casting for Recovery (UK & Ireland), a unique outdoor-based programme specifically designed for women who have or have had breast cancer.

Casting For Recovery will provide fly-fishing programmes at idyllic retreats around the UK and Ireland. Any woman who has experienced breast cancer is eligible to apply to attend a retreat (with medical clearance from their doctor). Weekend retreats are provided at no cost to the participants including accommodation, meals, counselling, and professional instruction. Trained medical staff and fly-fishing instructors will be on hand at all times.

"Even the ladies....."Jeff, you were abit patronising there! Ladies can fish too you know, sometimes better than you men!

Some of us ladies can fish! Unfortunately I'm not always one of them, but I try...

I've supported this initiative from the start. I've lost relatives to cancer, and I can see what benefits this could have for anyone suffering from this dreadful illness. They have my whole-hearted support. I know the benefits I get from a day's fishing. I'm sure they get the same, if not more from their days out.

Janet

J

Jeff Spiller

Thank's Janet, your a star.

I knew Claudia would not take the bait.

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
And just what bait was it that Claudia refused?

Sorry Jeff, I didn't think this was a game. These are real women out there struggling with a life threatening illness, finding some measure of normality through their experience of fishing. It's not a game for them - it's a way of coping.

I just think myself fortunate that I'm not in their position, and perhaps you should reflect on yours and be thankful that you or your partner aren't there too....

Janet

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

You know I've been in recovery now for nearly 50 years and I'm still not cured /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Janet,

If you knew Claudia as well as we do, and had fished with her as well, then you'd know that she is always 'game' for a wind up regarding lady anglers.

Is the topic a serious one?
Yes, of course it is, and I too have lost family members to this awful illness.

Is the topic a 'game'?
Again, no of course it isn't.

Was Jeff belittling either the programme or those real women?
No, of course he wasn't!!!

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Many apologies lads!

I had some bad news last night, and shouldn't have posted as I did. I totally misunderstood Jeff's post. Remind me never again to post when I've had a drink!

Sorry everyone....

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Many apologies lads!

I had some bad news last night, and shouldn't have posted as I did. I totally misunderstood Jeff's post. Remind me never again to post when I've had a drink!

I was horrified when I looked at the thread this morning and realised what a muppet I'd been. Jeff, I'm sorry - I really wasn'tthinking straight last night. Peter- thank you for pointing out what an idiot I was!

Mithrandir

Reaction score
For those of you that may be interested here is the website

casting for recovery

I applaud efforts such as this and think a bit of encouragement would not be misplaced.

I am sure many of the experienced anglers here could offer a bit of time to help someone through such an awful experience by teaching them the joy of fishing.

I know where my next charitable donation will be going.

I just wish I could tie flies, as they want donations of flies for them to use for the trainees, also they want helpers who can fly fish, I unfortunately can do neither so I am left with raising a bit of cash and sticking it in an envelope

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Janet,

Don't give it a second thought, we have all (and I mean all) 'been there' and done that.

I know that I have certainly done exactly the same in the past.

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Jeff, you have absolutely nothing to say sorry for. I'm the one who needs to apoogise. I know you didn't mean any offence - it was just me who somehow read your post totally wrong and made a prat of myself.

As a penance, I'm now ordering some flies to donate to the charity.