Modern Specimen Hunters

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

OK, we've had a go at matchmen. Now let other's get theirown back.

Over to you.

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

Are they hated anymore than they always have been Ron?

I'm not to sure they are really!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Are they 'hated' Ron, or is it more a case of others either:

1. Not understanding their passion?

2. Being jealous of the fact that they can invest more time (and money) than most?

From a personal point of view, I don't hate any of the practicioners of any of the branches of our sport.

Come to think of it, neither do I 'hate' anyone or anything, although I'm none too keen on stuffed marrow.

R

A lot of "modern specimen hunting" can be equated to the 5 big "Bs"

Boilies, Boltrigs, Bivvy, Bedchair and Beer.

Let's be brutally honest, a lot of big fish of many species are caught in this way. Look at how barbel fishing and bream fishing has developed.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
A rather simplistic approach Ron. Do you 'tar' all groups with the same brush. I have found in all walks of life that you should not 'judge a book by its cover'.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I can honestly say that I don't hate any particular branch of sport, it is the behaviour and attitude of some individual anglers that I don't like.

R

Notice Richard that I said "a lot of", not "all".

Many modern specimen types are fine caring anglers who put back into their fishing, not just take out of it. You can soon spot the rubbish. They do things like getting horribly drunk on the bank and let fireworks off when barbel fishing.

I kid you not!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Neil: "How do you "Copy & Paste" on this forum?"

Highlight the text, click on the copy icon in the message editor, click where you want to paste it, then click on the paste icon - (for those who can't do it with the drop down dialogue from the right mouse button).

Jack Pike 3

Reaction score
I'm not sure that I hate either match or specimen anglers. Its bloody carp anglers that I hate!! Oh, and members of the 'circus' who descend on someone elses' hot spot and ruin it before moving on to destroy the next 'on' water.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

The only anglers I think need a good educating are those who are selfish, thoughtless and uncaring, whether that's about other people or fish. What they fish for and how they legally fish for them is irrelevant.

The best cure for all the hatred that some people feelis to fish for all species using all methods; that way you get to understand, and are able to relate to, all branches of angling.

Jack Pike 3

Reaction score
I think, Graham, that there are varying degrees of hatred. This thread, I hope, being in a light hearted vain, uses the term lightly. Should the term be venomous then please replace 'hate', in reguard to carp fishing, with 'love and admire'! Now, had I said 'dispise' then I would be worried! Yes, I love carp anglers, despite their insistance that all waters contain carp and that all anglers use boilies and bolt rigs. How can anyone not love them, after all they have brought us camo bivvy slippers to laugh at!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

I'm not having a go at anybody, my whole aspect on life is love and piece (I love a nice piece), I'm just saying that a lot of 'hatred' is due to not understanding or appreciating another man's passion.

flukes

Reaction score
i think there is always going to be this divide between different groups of anglers reason being that some are always gonna think they are better then the other but at the end of the day to say you hate or dislike a type of angler or angling is just dumb as we are mostly all fish caring anglers what ever type of fishing we do and should support one and other as i think we get to much bad press as it is.

M

Maggot

my whole aspect on life is love and piece (I love a nice piece), I'm just saying that a lot of 'hatred' is due to not understanding or appreciating another man's passion. G.M.

I don't even understand my 'passion' sometimes, especially when she only seems to get amorous when Im trying to get some sleep readyfor an early 4am start on the river.

/forum/smilies/sleepy_smiley.gifzzzzzzzzzzz

J

Jonathan Northmore BA HONS

I hate the way SOME completely ignore you or even tell you to get lost when you try and engage in conversation with them; as if they were some kind of superior being to whom you should bow down to and look at with immense awe and admiration!

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Notice Richard that I said "a lot of", not "all".

Not in the title thread Ron, you ammended it slightly later!