Tackle Prices in Florida

F

Frank Curtis

Because I'm a new member to FM I've only just read the forum thread regarding prices in holland.
I've never been to Holland but I do know how sickening it can be to see the prices being paid by anglers in other countries.
About 10 years ago tackle in Spain was ridiculously cheap and I'm still using a 4 metre carbon whip that I bought there for about ?9. The equivalent in the U.K. at that time was about ?30, but, I believe prices there have now gone up considerably although they are still cheaper than here.
It isn't until you visit the states that you realise just how much we get ripped off over here.
Last April I went shopping for tackle in the K-Mart store in Marathon (Florida Keys) and couldn't believe the the prices. Practically every rod and reel (and there were literally hundreds to choose from) was at least 50% cheaper than here but, the most striking contrast between their prices and ours was in lines and terminal tackle.
These are a few examples of their prices:
1000 yards of 6lb sinking Berkly Fireline $24
350 yards of "P" Line (flourocarbon coated copolymer) in 2, 4, and 6lb test $6.95
350 yards of normal monofilament from $2 to $4.95.
Hooks of all sizes and all brands were from $3.95 to $5.95 for boxes of 100.
I could understand the differences if all their tackle was manufactured in the U.S. but, as with the U.K., most of it is imported, especially the line which is mostly manufactured in the far east.
Tackle manufacturers in this country together with the retailers are always complaining about the decline in sales but with the kind of prices we have to pay can you wonder at it. The tackle shops in Florida always seem to be full of customers and their turnover must be huge but at the prices they're charging it's not suprising.
Perhaps if the tackle trade here was to start reducing prices overall and not just offering special deals on selected items then the custom might start returning to the local tackle shop instead of going to the mail order companies.
Is this too much wishful thinking in what has now become the world's major rip-off nation.

P.S.
In case anyone hasn't heard of "P" Line or used it then I would suggest that if you are going to the states you buy as much as you can to bring home. It's probably the best line you will ever use. I'm visiting the keys again in April and I already have orders from all my fishing pals who have seen it in action.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Frustrating eh Frank?
I go to Cyprus maybe a couple of times a year and buy tackle, spools of Maxima 90p, poles here that go for ?350 are around ?100. I just been on the search for a new echo sounder, spoke to a few over here and it looks like the one I want is going to be around ?350ish, seen the same one on a site in the states for $250. I've e-mailed them to send me details and carriage costs. Even the import tax added makes it amazingly cheaper!!!!!!!