The drought; it's time to act

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
I have today written to Mark Lloyd, Chief Executive of the Angling Trust, imploring him to focus the ATr's efforts on getting the water companies and Environment Agency to do what they are paid for: respectively, managing water supply and protecting the river environment.

Both have failed miserably. Four years ago, an EA report said "...freshwater resources are most heavily exploited in South East and Eastern England and can be considered to be under stress by international standards. When we take population density into account, we actually have less water per person in South East England than many hotter, drier countries such as Morocco and Egypt."

Yet precisely nothing has happened since that report to address this problem with water metering or improved supply. The situation we face now was predictable and predicted, but the Government has failed to rein in demand.

As I have said in my letter, the ATr has here an opportunity to demonstrate that angling cares for the environment, and to forge new links to conservation groups which have far more clout than angling. And as I have also said, it's time to forget all other campaigns; this is a crossroads for river angling, and if we fail to bring our concerns to the public attention, we will have failed the next generation of anglers.

Please write a similar letter to the ATr to bring our concerns to Mark Lloyd's attention; if you do nothing else for your sport this year, do this.

I was on the Nene last week. It is a sorry, stagnant, barely-flowing puddle. Elsewhere, the situation is even worse. This summer, the situation will be utterly disastrous for fish and fishing. I've had enough. I hope you have, too.

---------- Post added at 10:54 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

This is the content of my letter. Feel feel to take anything from it, if this helps:

I am writing to you because I am becoming increasingly alarmed at the campaigns in which the Angling Trust is becoming involved.

I believe, as do many other anglers, that we have reached a crossroads in river angling's history; that the combined factors of climate change and increasing water demand have the potential to effectively destroy rivers which have flowed for millennia. This is already happening and the current drought in the south-east and East Anglia will irreparably damage the ecology of most of our remaining chalkstreams and even our lowland rivers.

I have only to cycle ten minutes from my home to see a river with almost no flow at all at a time when it should be bank-high and healthy. It is struggling, gasping for life like a stranded fish. Not far from me in Norfolk, the situation on iconic rivers like the Wensum is even worse. For two years, these rivers haven't flooded; reinvigorating, fresh water has not come and their essential gravel runs lie stagnant and silted. It is a disaster, yet still the water companies have failed to stem waste through water metering and leakage. Indeed, many are applying for additional river abstraction consents to top up ailing reservoirs, while the Environment Agency is completely failing in its duty to maintain the river environment. Ten years or more since the advent of the European Water Framework Directive, UK water companies and the Environment Agency have taken no effective measures to mitigate against this foreseeable situation and no sanctions have been meted out to persuade them toward sustainable river management.

Yet the Angling Trust is wasting its limited resource on pointless exercises. There is precisely no prospect of this or any other government allowing any licensed control of otters, yet the AT has been hijacked by commercial fisheries and a vocal press and launched initiatives in this area which set it against a much more powerful lobby. It has even repeated the scurrilous and unfounded rumour that otters are still being released from captivity.

MORE

---------- Post added at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

In its own literature, the AT admits that cormorant predation is a problem only because of over-abstraction yet, instead of choosing to fight alongside wildlife groups against the real culprit, has chosen to go against them, and lobby to kill cormorants. This is a foolhardy waste of my money.

I am aware that the AT has voiced support for the Blueprint for Water and other well-researched and science-based campaigning. It is time the AT steered itself towards those goals, and refused to get involved in battles it cannot win. If members and the media are not engaged by the truly important threats to their sport, it is the AT's duty to educate and inform them, not to pander to populist nonsense because it is the line of least resistance.

I feel I must again repeat that I believe, as do many others, that the looming disaster facing our rivers is our final chance to make a difference; by summer, the damage will be obvious even to laymen and the AT should be preparing to turn this disaster into positive action; a campaign which reaches beyond its own membership, and beyond angling itself.

We have here an opportunity to prove that angling is umbilically connected to the river ecology and cares about wildlife; an opportunity to build bridges with the Wildlife Trusts, RSPB and a great many other powerful organisations and achieve change; at the very least, ensure that the general public understands that the hosepipe ban is a symptom of a much more serious and sinister infrastructure failure; the story of water companies failing to supply water, and an Environment Agency failing to protect the environment.

dalesman

Reaction score
Its April and 7 hosepipe bans already in force in the south of england and add this to problems with cormorants and otters.

In the next few seasons or season we wont have any rivers to fish.

Luke Haines

Reaction score
Its crazy!!!

Had a walk up a tributary of the River Thames yesterday. I was shocked at the levels. It was more like a stagnant pond. No flow what so ever. The ducks could pretty much walk the width of the river.

Kind Regards

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Its April and 7 hosepipe bans already in force in the south of england and add this to problems with cormorants and otters.

In the next few seasons or season we wont have any rivers to fish.

The point I have tried to make, dalesman, is that the real problem is the state of rivers, not the effect of cormorants and otters.

Luke Haines

Reaction score
As a fly fisherman we used to have regular work parties, cleaning the litter from the banks.

Removing damaged tree as a result of storm damage.

The club is used to fish at were also heavily involved increasing the fish spawn areas and creating safe heavens for predators.

I do not know whether this is common practise with coarse fishing clubs. The work parties were usually the first or last Sunday of each month. we used to get a very good turn out of people.

The work carried out during the season certainly had a improved impact of the fishing.

Kind Regards

Keith M

Reaction score
The river Colne passes by our company near Radlet and has been dry now for a long time; where the riverbed used to be is just a jungle of undergrowth that has been there for over a year at least.

Parts of the river Kennet below Marlborough College which used to be a flourishing trout stream is also bone dry and has been for more than a year.

The same is happening right across the south of England but nothing is done except for a few waiving their hands up in the air and the usual hose pipe Ban.

I have heard that this country even allows some of its water to be exported to other countries on the continent like Spain (why???).

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Something I wrote in some End of the World - er, Season - thread yesterday:

-- 22:41, Paul Boote:

Re: Last day before the close season

Yes, and by 2015, if we all don't very soon stop wee-ing our water away on essentials like clean "Cop my manhood" cars, "Because I'm worth it" multiple showers and perfect lawns, we won't have too many rivers, fish or fish-less, to worry about. Ruddy otters....

As someone who loathes New Age Speak (and all of its "Thinking") with a passion, I find that I can only use one of its favourite and simply awful pieces of jargon when it comes to tackling the problems that presently beset our rivers (problems that will continue to get worse, even if it (to quote an old Carole King song) "rain(s) until September" - a HOLISTIC approach: all bases covered - how we live, what we expect, consume, use, travel etc etc. Some HUGE re-thinks are required, I believe, by all of us and particularly by our here today -gone tomorrow politicians.

Terry D

Reaction score
We all need the AT to fight on behalf of all anglers. However, that does not mean only fight cases it can win. All problems should be raised and fought for on our behalf, because if they're not, we'll lose everything, bit by bit. The AT is our only voice - let it shout about anything that's a threat to our fishing.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Most water companies pump water from rivers into reservoirs which then feed treatment works to supply us with clean,safe water at our taps.
When the leakage rate from the pipework owned by these companies leaks anything from 15 to in excess of 30% daily,then this would appear a major contributory factor in lower water tables at present.
This fact seems to have been glossed over by recent high level meetings which have been in the news and we,the customer,are all paying for it.
Cetainly,in my view,an odd stae of affairs.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Mark...well said

the thread about the cherwell which the EA say it's running at 17% at normal flow rate I passed around as much as I could on my email list.

i've been in Hereford for the last ten days, enjoying the odd day on the Wye..but the Lugg as captiveated me...flow, fish and the feeling everything is ok out here, I maybe wrong on that but it's 100% better than fishing in Oxford...basically you can fish a stick float.

keep up the pressure...time we all got off our high horses and got back to real fishing in healthy waters with top to bottom stocks...it all starts with the minnow!

Cheers
Jason

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
absolutely brilliant m8, a proper top post
my only concern is the inclusion of water metering, on the face of it, it seems an obvious tool to use, but we must be mindful that we're not lumbering future generations with a method of being ripped of
would it not be possible to work out rainfall data, and compare it with consumption, a sort of water in, water out equation, and see whats left, obviously the tangled web of where it actually falls and where its needed would need unpicking, but with 60 million households in the country, all paying for a meter to be constructed, delivered, and installed, it may be cost effective to invest in infrastructure, and it has the added potential to rejuvinate our rivers
TW's director of sustainability, when questioned about moving water by jeremy paxton, responded that water was heavy, and that although watering with a hose aint allowed, if you have a drip feed system its ok, my concern is that the 4 x 4, gated communitity, could become a green oasis amongst a poorer brown backdrop

keep it up fella, keep it up everyone, 'cause you can make a difference
only this week I have found out, that the hydropower proposals for teddington weir, have been withdrawn
do future generations a favour, or live up to their expectations, go tell everyone anglers have won and we'regonna win alot more

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I went to the rivers Tillingham and the river Brede in the south east on Sunday. Both rivers were very high; right up to there upper levels. But, they are both dammed at the sea end by lock gates so the lock keeper keeps them close during drought periods. I have mentioned this before and was told it would not be possible on other rivers but, I still cannot see why not. Surely it is not beyond our engineering capabilities.

waggy

Reaction score
Damming is not done because of environmental considerations. Planners look beyond 'hard engineering ' solutions nowadays.
What we do need is a better Rain Dance. See your local vicar.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
only this week I have found out, that the hydropower proposals for teddington weir, have been withdrawn do future generations a favour, or live up to their expectations, go tell everyone anglers have won and we'regonna win alot more
Sorry to disappoint you Jim, but I only wish that was entirey true. The EA have rejected the application for an impoundment licence. Many flaws in the detail of their application were exposed by Alan Butterworth of the Angling Trust and embarrased by this (IMO) the EA were forced to reject it. Sadly it will be remedied and resubmitted, they are not beaten yet.

We've just won a battle, not the war.

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
gutted or wot, but postponed is better than nothing
a mahoosive big up to alan butterworth, the ATr, and the EA

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Most water companies pump water from rivers into reservoirs which then feed treatment works to supply us with clean,safe water at our taps.
When the leakage rate from the pipework owned by these companies leaks anything from 15 to in excess of 30% daily,then this would appear a major contributory factor in lower water tables at present.
This fact seems to have been glossed over by recent high level meetings which have been in the news and we,the customer,are all paying for it.
Cetainly,in my view,an odd stae of affairs.

Oddly, the leakage rate will have very little to do with low water tables, as the leakage makes its way back into the system. It's not good to waste drinking water, but in that vein, the fact that I have to pay for every litre via a meter, while my neighbour pays almost the same price for unmetered water - sprinkling his garden daily in summer - is ludicrous.

Is there any other commodity which is sold without measuring it? Of course not, and metering should be compulsory for everyone.

That said, somehow the government have got to find a way to peg back abstraction. Or even peg back the population....

dezza

Reaction score
I came over the Pennines from Manchester Airport to Sheffield today on the Trans-Pennine Express, so I was able to get a close look at the uppers reaches of some of the rivers that feed a few of our most important reservoirs. Fortunately they all looked fairly healthy, but I don't think they were running at maximum flow.

The Don in Sheffield looked OK.

I do feel however that we do not take our water situation as seriously as we should. I do feel that greedy South Eastern eyes are being focused on the rich water resources of the North of England. I worry terribly about the Trent.

Water resources should NOT be in the hands of private companies. Water resources belong to all of us and are not a commodity to be traded and profiteered by organisations that in some cases are not even based in this country. Remember that the water companies aim is the bottom line on a balance sheet and to achieve this it means selling the maximum amount of water - period.

Hosepipe bans are a bloody joke.

I'm all for competition amongst companies, but not when they control a non-sustainable life giving resource.

Watch out for water grabbing by foreign controlled water utilities in the future.

In South Africa they have just had a national "Water Week", and during this time, government have indicated that many "very large" reservoirs are in the planning stage. Some of these impoundments will be 30 to 50 miles long and several hundred feet deep at the deepest. The building of these enormous dam walls will provide jobs, and the utilisation of the water retained will put SA amongst the top food growers in the world. All this is planned by the ANC goverment.

Unfortunately Julius Malema - one time leader of the ANC youth wing, is the fly in the ointment here as he wants to create a Mugabe style communist state where all the highly qualified people in the country are removed, and people will return to subsistance farming. Thank goodness the ANC have just kicked him out.

Last edited: