River Fishing - The Last Hurrah

broomy

Reaction score
Once again great reading and very informative and helpful
Since you wrote about floatfishing bread I have been giving it a go on the Swale downstream of Morton Bridge.
Also thanks for mentioning the use of a carp sack, beats lugging a keep net
Unable to get a six but have come close at 5lb 12oz ( today) and 5lb 8oz last Friday).
The river today was exceptionaly low and clear and I doubt I would of had that big chub ledgering.
The fish were in tip top condition, big problem though is I can only get single fish from a selected swim. Despite using a net to retain fish and pulling a hooked fish quickly away from where it was hooked. They just dont seem to be there in any great numbers.
Also managed a small barble last Friday of 4lb 8oz, the smallest fish I have seen
Also lots of otter presence, footprints everywere and the thing swam past quite visible in the clear water

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Thanks chaps!

Those are nice fish for the Swale Broomy. I think the days of the big back end chub catches on some parts of the Swale are now over. The year class that gave loads of big fours and low fives has now mostly gone and where big shoals still remain they have been broken up by oter predation. This is partly why a very mobile approach with the float works so well.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Excellent read Sean and an even better result. I'm with you on the centrepin for better control of the bigger fish especially as I tend to fish fine lines and small hooks with maggot.

p.s. didn't know the Dorset Stour had a Yorkshire tributary! :cool:

Morespiders

Reaction score
Nice day out, and well worthwhile ehh Meeghan? right fat big devil that chub, still using that old wooden rod I see:D

Skoda

Reaction score
My! That's a big one Sean! Thanks for a great article.

Andy:)

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen such a fat chub Sean.

Same here Eric. We get fish of a similar build on the Wharfe (we call them breeze blocks) but this was fatter again. It seemed healthy enough though and put up a real fight. If it has the potential to put on some length then it could become something really special,

Almost right Matt - I'd fed 3 loaves and 5 fishes.:wh

Deanos

Reaction score
Hey up Sean!

Great write up as usual, is that the same split cane rod that landed the moosive barbel ?

(for those of you that dont know, Sean is "worth a bob or two" but insists on buying Mr Crabtree's bloody cast off's from ebay! :)

Beleave it or not, I am just about to get a center pin! its more time on the float for me next season.
So, take a few spare floats with you just in case a mate shows up and has forgotten his!!! :)

Always a pleasure to read your articals Sean. I have learned a great deal from your approach.

I was doing some gardening at me mams last week, and came across a couple of old canes, you can av em for £500 pound each first refusal!

Stay happy, catch you for a session next season mate.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Hi Deanos - long time no see! No, the rod I caught the barbel on is my usual barbel rod.

Barbel on the float sounds a good plan for a few days in the Summer. I'm just about to start building the perfect barbel float rod. If the canes in your mam's garden are around 2 1/2 inches in diameter I might be interested, but only if she cleans the coal dust off them first.