What species of fish do you love and why?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I love catching all fish, they all deserve the same amount of respect.

I get a massive kick when I catch my target species.

What floats your boat?

E

EC

Catching crucians! Fishing for them on the lift with breadflake as a teenybopper in little raggedyarsed pondswas THE best fishing time ever!

C

Cakey

I love catching carp ......all sizes
and last couple of years well into perch

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

Although I like catching all species, the roach is perhaps my favourite British fish.

Although I used to love the Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Ewan Clarkson described Gudgeon as always looking so cross when you catch them, like retired colonels called from the bath to answer the telephone ... gotta love them for that, and for saving so many blanks, and for that flash of lilac when they were pretending to be brown and boring.

Roach - what can you say? The be-all and end-all for many; deliberate roach fishing is about as subtle and refined as it gets. Bread punch on winter canals, wheat on summer rivers; hemp and tares, hemp and caster, hemp alone, or big lobworms and lumps of flake; stck-float, dart, or great big swan-quill Avons as circumstances dictate - got to love the Roach for the sheer variety of tactics he calls for, and for being a bar of silver with scarlet underfins.

Variety of methods - oi, what about Chub? Add spinning, freelining, and fly fishing to the list, at least! So shy, so greedy - a chub is nearly always possible, and, if caught, always deserved.

I could also go on about tench, barbel, rudd, (mmmm... rudd!), perch (so long as they don't swallow the bait beyond disgorger-reach), bream (once they're brown).... and all the others. Wonderful. As in "Full of Wonders".

It does have to be admitted that small perch, ruffe, bleak, and small eels have a definite pain-in-the-neck value when caught by fair angling, but watch 'em, in the wild or in an aquarium ... amazing, the lot of 'em.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I have always enjoyed the fight that grayling give, they really do throw their all into, and such a beautiful and delicate fish when you do land one.

I have not caught many , but I can see Chub being a new passion of mine, again it is such and explosive form of fishing, the quiet stalk, the gentle cast to where they feed and then, BANG, off shoots the line, rod bent over and a chub is on.

I think all species can be fun, even hunting for that elusive Ruffe just to bag another species.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I would'nt know where to start or finish.

I just love fishing.

Any method, trotting being my favorite.

At a push i would say roach, as that was the first fish i ever caught as a 5 year old.

W

Wolfman Woody

The perch, big ones especially, does seem to sum up fishing and I can remember pulling monsters out of the Grand Union as a kid. They must have been 8 or 9 lbs in my eyes.

Hate eels - having to handle them and stuff.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Barbel for my river fishing, the fight they put up has my heart racing. Still water it has to be tench, especially on the lift method.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
I would'nt know where to start or finish.

I just love fishing.

ditto Ray......trotting for grayling I just love, light quiver tip fishing watching every little twitch on the rod tip, touch ledgering I only just recently tried for the first time, it was amazing how I could feel every little nibble and twitch on the line.

Deep sea or shore fishing always on the hunt for that big bass, smoothound, conger, bream, sole, cod, flatfish, wrasse

There is still so much more for me to discover about fishing.........the grayling will always be my favorite, as that was my very first fish I caught.

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
It's got to be perch for me. I love the way they glare at me, spines erect and bristling with righteous indignation at being hauled out of their environment.

It never fails to amuse me how such little fish can fight like something so much bigger. Sometimes they can be a nuisance, but you have to have some respect for a fish that will try and swallow a worm twice its size!

If I had to restrict myself to one species, it would be perch, without a doubt. I've never had anything over 2lb 14oz, but that was one that I'll never forget.

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

For me i think the chub doe's it whatever method you choose it's such a breathtaking moment everytime you hook one. I'v been out this evening for a walk along what used to be my favorite river as a child, it is part of my club water but over the years has become so neglected its choked with rushes and grass all that is left is in some places small pools then it thins into a stream no more that 3 feet wide . I walkled it tonight as far as i could go and saw some fine roach ,chub , perch all begging to be cought so on sunday machette in hand armed with a 10 splitcane avon rod a centre pin and a few bits,Not to mention the coffee some bread and worms .I'm off to get stung bitten scrached and completely shattered but boy am i going to have some fun. Anything i catch will be great in my eyes wish me luck and if i dont come back send out the troops .

M

Maggot

For me its - Early Summer : Tench & Carp Mid Summer : Tench & Crucians

Autumn :Barbel Winter Pike, Chub & Roach

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Brilliant replies guys and gals. I hope all your fishing dreams come true!

I've done a lot of fishing in my angling life.

It all started with tench, monsters of at least 1lb on my bamboo rod, when I was 6 with my dad. I was then introduced tochub on the upper BristolAvon at Lacock, again with my dad every Sunday.

I then discovered roach on my local with hemp and tares, my mate and I put together a 100lb bag of roach once, I've got a crinkled photo somewhere, but it's not very p.c. in one keepnet (we were only 15). Nightfishing for eels was also a passion.

I then got a set of wheels, I was free! The Dorset Stour was only ashortish drive away, barbel and chub became the target. Match fishing soon followed,but came and went when I got fed up with being "pools fodder" I did have some major results though.

The carp and tench atLinear were now also within reach, that was an eye opener!

Fly fishing was a buzz, my 9lb14oz rainbow pb caught on a hand made daddy longlegs was fantastic, but it's an expensive game.

Digging lugworm is hard work, the cod and whiting tasted nice though!

Then pike caught my eye, big toothy dinosaurs. My mate Pete Austin taught me a lot.

My wife Wendi started fishing with me this year (January) after21 years of me going alone or wth my mates. The smile on her face is Magic when she gets a clonker or a new tiddler! I've got my targets and goals and I know class myself as an all round specimen angler, right or wrong I don't know? but that's what floats my boat at the moment.

I'm not sure why I started this thread? I think I just wanted to hear some possitive vibes from anglers who love fishing.I got sick and tired of the "so who do you hate threads."

I love fishing and that's how it should be, I don't hate anyone, as long as they abide to the rules!

I've seen a lot and fished a lot, I can undrestand were othersare coming from.

Let's just enjoy what we do and try to educate those who don't know any better!

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

Any fish that isn't carp!

Why? Because they arn't carp!

Deanos

Reaction score
Chub for me Steve, they are the chavs of the river, hang round in gangs!, big gobs!, often fat!...and would happily survive on a diet of turkey twizzlers given half a chance!

I love em! (thats chub...not the turkey twizzlers...but they are not bad also now I come to think about it!).

glenn melsome

Reaction score
no I'm an all round fisherman with some of my Pb being in double figgers

<u>boat</u>

bass 7ld

tope 26ld

cod 19ld

smooth hound 18 1/4ld

skate 13ld

bream 6ld

<u>shorse </u>

bass 3 1/2ld