Coaching Kids with Special Needs

simon yorke-johnson

Reaction score
Dear All,

The new school year has seen a shift in my working patterns; as the Fishing in the Community project I was working on with West Sussex County Council has come to an abrupt end.

Seeing the need to fill the gap, I have gone out and sought my own students from a range of places and am busier than ever! The stories are as bizzarre as ever but the job is just as rewarding.

I'm now coaching for 4 days per week with mainly boys with challenging behaviour, taken from a range of educational establishments in my local area. My intention is to formalise what I'm doing to seek a grant to set up independently. Things are looking good.

I'm currently training up an assistant coach, who is on extended leave/study leave/permanently or temporarily excluded leave from school! He's a fantastic angler, great communicator, keen, industrious; but doesn't fit into the "one size fits all state education system". As a result he has a fine grasp of the ineptitudes and inflexibility of the school system but can speak fluent Anglo Saxon! We make a good team.

We are still looking for sponsorship from tackle dealerships and from anyone who can help, including the local Police / Community wardens through the District Council.

I've been given tackle by the Gemini company making sea fishing rig tackle(many thanks!) and loads of verbal support from many bodies. Still looking for help from the big boys though! Any advice from you, the readership, would be much appreciated!!

Will keep you informed of progress, if any over the next few months.

Pip pip

Simon

Deanos

Reaction score
I wish you all the best in your future endeavors, kids take a battering from all sides these days, I am teaching a kids class today (different field), criticism is fine, but actually doing something to help get youngsters on the straight and narrow is I feel the better more constructive way forward.

There are some brilliant people on this site with "clout" in many different areas of angling and business, I hope they can help your cause and again, wish you absolutely all the best for the future.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Simon, i wish you the best of luck! I coach children fishing too and what a feeling i get when they catch. The smile on their face is fantstic!