My perfect bivvy

paul pretlove

Reaction score
Evening all,

I appreciate this topic has been discussed many times in the forum but I've got a few more questions that only experience can answer.

Basically i'm looking for a bivvy with the following criteria:

It must be easy to erect and dismantle

It must have a sewn in groundsheet

A spacey feel would be nice

A porch would also be nice

The bivvy must also be of a good quality and last

Ok I think I've narrowed my options down to the following four bivvies that, on paper, have everything I desire in a Bivvy. These are...

Fox easy dome X

I recently borrowed the bivvy from a friend and broke the clip on the supporting arm, which hasen't given me the greatest amount of confidence with the bivvy. I also found that the bivvy could have done with being a few cm's bigger. Other than that the bivyy was everything I wanted.

Nash Double top

I haven't read and cannot find any reveiws of this and was wondering if anyone could provide a relaible reveiw of the bivvy.

Chub rapid XS

Again I haven't read and cannot find any reveiws of this and was wondering if anyone could provide a relaible reveiw of the bivvy.

TF Gear Force 8

I've read in various other discussions that the materials of TF Gear Force 8 Bivvy aren't of the highest quality. I'm not sure of the internal dimensions of the bivvy either. again any information on this bivvy would be great.

With everything I currently know i'm steering towards the Nash doule top as, although on paper its the mot difficult to erect/dismantle, it looks as if it's the most robust, there are less things to go wrong andIts the biggest of the bivvies.

If possible could you please detail any other information on the above bivvies, ad any other bivvies I've overlooked, that will match my requirements so I won't be disappointed with my bivvy.

Cheers,

Paul P

B

Bully

How much have you got? I have to say I have been really disappointed with my Nash (Combat - nee a Armidillo lookalike). Just sent it back again to have the zips replaced (3rd time).

Also, I too wanted a built in ground sheet, however my experience is that it makes it far more difficult than the separates.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Paul,

Do you need a full bivvy?.

I have a couple, but use my Fox Evolution most of the time. I have the over wrap to go with it. The wrap turns it into a good size bivvy, without the wrap you have all the cover you need. Another plus you can get it into tight swims.

Having said all this if you need a full bivvy it has to be the Armadillo.

paul pretlove

Reaction score
I was hoping toget something for under £200, which puts the armadillo a bit out of my price range.

It'snot the first time i've been told that bivvies with the built in groundsheet are more difficult toput up. With this and the zips in mind I might pop down to the local tackle shop to see if they'll give me a demo.

As for wether I need a full bivvy or not to be honest i'm not really sure. I will mostly be fishing for a maximum of 2 nights with the occasional (probably once or twice a year) longer session of up to a week and most of my fishing sessions will be done all year in fair weather.

The only thing that puts me off the fox evolution bivvy is my experience with the easy dome although it doesn't look like it uses that same hub system?? Also does this come with a ground sheet as the fox website mentions that 'An additional PVC groundsheet is also available' which would suggest that one comes as standard??

What about the Chub Cyfish as a cheaper alternative?? (I originally looked over this as it doesn't have the built in groundsheet)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Wol,

That is a bargain.

Paul you could look at the specie armadillo my lad has one great bit of kit.

I did'nt mean the evolution bivvy, i have the cyfish a bit small unless you have the overwrap, then its to big for tight swims

Reaction score
The Evolution doesn't run off the same hub system that the easy dome did as a standard, but there was a model called the Evolution Compact that did have the quick release knuckles to make the dismantled shelter smaller in storage/transit.

There are not a great deal of shelters around nowadays with sewn in groundsheets other than the enduro type shelters that are designed for long session use overseas (mostly dome style shelters).

Nothing wrong with the Armo's or the Evolution's (I have had both and have stuck with the Evo due to the weight of it being significantly lighter). Both good in heavy wind and the Evo is more versatile IMHO due to being able to bend the poles to fit it into virtually any swim or to make it low to the ground to give better protection.

Specihunter

Reaction score
the double top is spot on easy to put up and take down, roomy ask those who went to the farrow memorial

Fin

Reaction score
Pick up a good second hand Armadillo and you can't go wrong. I bought a second hand 2man Aqua Armowith Extended Winter Skin for £220. Once you check its in good nick it will save you having to buy another one in a years time.Mate bought the 2 man TFG and having fished in a storm a couple of weeks ago and watching the bars wobble all over the place I was damn glad to be under mine!!!!

R

Roto Fryer 1

2 man dillo is huge, in fact, too big for many swims. get yourself a good brolly then theres no room for ginger faggots inside /forum/smilies/sick_smiley.gif

Pete

Reaction score
I've got the Trakker SLX 2 man, superb bivvy, easy to erect, pretty spacious, winter skin, great build qualityand around £250 (although I got a massive discount taking it under £200 from a friendly tackle shop)

Richard Mchugh

Reaction score
hi paul or anybody else did. you ever find any reviews or any information on the nash double top as i am looking on buying 1 just wnodering has i got a fully fitted groundsheet and is it stitched to the sides all the way around . could you get 2 bed chairs in the nash double top bivvy. and how does the mesh work inside dont worry if nobody can explain lol. and last 1 do you no if it is water proof with just the 2 skins or do you have to buy the 3rd skin. i would appreciate any information thanks all.

Richard Turner 3

Reaction score
a mate of mine has justa new bivvy and one thing that he wanted was a built in ground sheet which does narrow your choices right down after looking around for ages and asking loads of people he bought the pro logic spider domewe went for a two day session over the weekend and he was well inpressed with it nice and easy to put up with loads of room but i think he payed a little bit more than £200 for it i personally would save up and get yourself a second hand armo a rock solid piece of kit.

tommy

Reaction score
i recently bouhgt a nash expedition 2 man and i fint it's all i scould ask for .......plenty of room .easy to erect. and it has a detachable groundsheet which i find no problem at all good luck in your search! ct cornwall

Graham Odiam

Reaction score
Has anyone here tried the new Armo Dome yet? Basically, a MKII Armo outer with a fully enclosed inner dome.. which includes a sewn in groundsheet. I like this principle (have done ever since a midnight visit from a couple of rodents a while back!) - the Nash Double Top is pretty good, but I do like the Armo quality. So, has anyone seen or used one of these new Armo Domes yet?