B.James&Son Richard Walker rod transfers?

Keith M

Reaction score
I have an old friend of a rod that has seen better days Because the varnish has cracked and half of the transfer near the butt end has split and come away,

I was going to get a renovation job done on it for old times sake and I wondered If it was possible to get a 'B.James & Son Richard Walker MK1V' rod transfer to replace the old one that is half missing?

Is there a good rod builder out there who could do a professional restoration job on it - including a replacement transfer to bring it back to it's old 'as new' state?. and if so do you know how much this would cost me roughly?

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Keith,

I've had both a MkIV Avon and MKIV Carp refurbished in the past.

A full refurbishment is around £300 to include all the intermediate whippings too. It is cheaper to just have the handle, rod rings and ferrules sorted out. Personally I prfer the full 'monty' on my refurbishments.
My old rod builder has retired now, so cannot offer any experienced-based solutions - sorry.

Best of luck though a a fully refurbished MKIV is a joy to fish with; just don't listen to the apes from the carboniferous period LOL

PS: Paul Cook does some great work, take a look here: http://www.artofangling.net/rodrestoration.html

I've only seen his results though, never had one done by him.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Peter

I have sent Paul Cook an email asking about renovating my rod.
Thanks for your help

Keith

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to help Keith.

Paul's work is obviously of the highest standard albeit a bit pricey and he does have quite a waiting list so I'm told.

Good luck.

Last edited: