Camouflage. . I just can't see the point

Geoff Hood

Reaction score
Camouflage.....don't you think some of the manufacturers are just going too far ?

Like almost everybody these days , I've got the trousers and even a jacket which are hard wearing and comfortable.......but I can't see the point in some of the gear that's doing the rounds at the moment.

I mean a bivvy , fine I can see the point of that , but camo bite alarms , reel cases etc , how many more fish can gear like this put on the bank . Some thing like the alarms or reels are worth a lot of money . What happens when you put this gear down for a minute and get sidetracked ? A bit dark at the end of a session or it drops out of your bag on the bank . How the hell are you going to find them again . Maybe I should bring out a fluorescent baggage range .....or is it just me ??

Incidentally.....if anyone finds a pair of XL Prologic Neoprene gloves on the bank anywhere......../forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Geoff

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I think it became trendy among the few carpers who "guest" waters where they have no real right to be ... the camo was so the owner didn't spot you!

Honest folk know that a black or camo torch is a dam' sight harder to find than a yellow one. And when you need your torch, you often NEED it!

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

I got myself a camo rod quiver but lost it in the riverside vegetation/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Found it on the next visit when I tripped over the $loody thing/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Fancy some ofTHESEthough

Reaction score
Thanks for that John

What is the point of the point of cotswold bait creations cammo pops ?????????????

i always thought the carp needed to see the bait

D

david bruce 1

I had a quick look at the link you provided John.

Now I know why I want a camo bivvy so the wearers' can't find me Ohhhhhh!

Paul Morley

Reaction score
I find camouflage essential when hammering banksticks in with a lump hammer, skylining other river anglers, posturing menecingly, throwing rocks at a companion's bivouac shouting 'f*kin wake up, Tommo/ Damo / Degsy / Stubbsy etc.', keeping a fish out of water for about 15 mins for a photo with aforementioned companions, leaving 14 stella cans and 30 yd of 15lb line in my swim... but it could just be a fashion thing....?

Nick D

Reaction score
I think it's just a trend that people have been sucked into.

You can now get camo:

Alarms
Pods
Bivvy tables
Pillows
Mat
Bedchair cover
Sleeping Bag
Mainline
Bait!
Rod tip protectors
Stink bag
Rig wallet.

B

Bully

Pitty you cant get cameo "forum posts" for Ron /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

J K

Reaction score
Personally I just can’t the point. I think it is just a fashion thing but if people want to wear it that’s their prerogative.

I tried writing this in camo. It worked in Word and before posting, but when posted all the text showed up.

M

Maggot

Camo Bivvie : Acceptable . Camo Fishing Suit : Acceptable. CamoEnd Tackle:Acceptable.

Camo anything else : For people with more money than sense or Fashion slaves.

(unless thats all their tackle shop sells)

Thats my view anyway.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

You could ask what the point is in a businessman wearing a tie. It's less useful than camo fishing gear.

What I say is, if you like it, wear it, as long as you're not doing anyone any harm.

Wayne Beale

Reaction score
'Modern' camo came from our armed forces and was/is bloody good too. Im sure that its use has also saved countless lives, but as an application to fishing, well im not sure. Proper 'forces' wear is extremely hard wearing but im uncertain about the gimmick stuff. Yes, i feel that its a fashion thing, in fact 'camo' has spilt into the high street stores and is hugely popular.I recently bought a camo jacket to wear as an every day item,and very smart it is too. So, in my veiw camo is not a necessary commodity in angling(unless its the real hard wearing army wear) and for that reason only. Watercraft is far more important, no amount of camo will keep you off the skyline if you are above it. Try it with a friend, stand at a distance above the skyline , see if he spots you!!!!!

S

Sean Meeghan

Anyone know where I can get some camo underpants? They're all I need to complete my collection.

glenn melsome

Reaction score
and women look like they've just come from the barracks that's the army sort of course

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

I bought a new gun case for my air rifle some time ago. The only case I could get was in "Real Tree".

Went on the range and nearly lost the damned case.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
I've got a copy of the Home Guard Handbook 1941, fascinating stuff about concealment and the visibility of the face (caucasian we assume) - the hunting crowd may well use it purposefully, businessmen wearing a tie is about social convention, modern anglers wearing camouflage pattern sunglasses is about being a SUCKER!! Wayne - watercraft will never catch on, you can't market it!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham M. says:

"What I say is, if you like it, wear it, as long as you're not doing anyone any harm."

Couldn't agree more Graham, but I do have a little chuckle when I see Carp anglers totally kitted out in 'camo' gear and then they cast about 100 yards plus into the centre of the lake. (and usually into someone else's swim)

Why?

If you like it and want to, then; go for it, but unless you stalk your fish, or fish really close-in, then please don't for one minute think that you have an "edge"