2000 Dead Fish on the Wandle

W

Wolfman Woody

What a great shame, but look at the sizes of the fish -

"barbel to 10lb, chub to 6lb, roach to 3lb and at least one dace over 1lb." Pretty good for a tiny river.

Good to see Richard Aylard admitting the incident straight away. I met him maybe three years ago and he seemed like a genuinely honest man. Let's hope they can recover this lovely urban river.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What a great shame indeed!

When I was a kid growing up in south London the Wandle was probably my nearest river. Not that you could fish it in those days as there was a paper board mill upstream of Merton that used to spew out all sorts of detergants and other chemicals.

So, it has been with great interest that I've been watching the resurection of this river, that in Nelson's days was a premier Trout stream, with great interest.

I am pleased though to see the cuplrits own up and offer to put things right.

In itself this is proof positive that polluters know what will happen if the ACA get on the case.

Again, what better reason to cough up a meagre annual fee and JOIN THE ACA.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
PS, for a while Lord Nelson shared an abode in Merton Place with his lover, Emma Hamilton, and her husband!

And they say that its only the 60's that saw the breakdown of 'moral' society.

keith clark

Reaction score
2000 fish my A*se, this figure was from 1 short stretch, i would put the numbers at least double that from what i saw/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

A tragic set back that will unfortunately take a fair time to recover from.

Thames water need to make sure they take proper steps to minmise the chances of a similar mistake in the future.

W

Wolfman Woody

"i would put the numbers at least double that from what i saw/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif."

Tell that to the ACA then Keith. I'm sure they will pursue every penny owed.

Reaction score
yet again thames valley!! this makes me so angry,how many times are they going to be allowed to pollute our water ways and get away with tiny fines?????

Lee Swords

Reaction score
I think it is time for a real fine....In excess of £10,000,000

I am sick of these water companies polluting willy-nilly in the name of profit making...They are the very worst culprits!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

A new article about this pollution just gone up. see top of page.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
They say they will replace the fish, but how can you replace 3lb+ roach and a 1lb 8oz potential record dace?

I'm with Lee. It's time for some real fines that will make the big companies s**t their pants if they pollute our waterways.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

You can never make a water what it was, you can onlystock new fishagain and hope they do at least as well as they did before.

I also agree with Lee, but I'd say the fine should be a massive percentage of their annual turnover. If that's £20,000,000 then so be it.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Isay the fine should be 1% of their turnover for each offence

What is £100,000 when you are dealing with turnovers in excess of billions rather than millions?

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

This is a growing trend amongst the multi-nationals, own up quickly say you’ll help to put it right. Keep the case in the magistrate’s by doing this, rather than going to the Crown court where it should be (unlimited fines there).

Max fine 20k job done profits protected.

It’s environmental responsibility wash

Jail the Chef Ex. Senior managers, and the bastar* who made the mistake in the first place. End of water pollution at the first lock of a key.

W

Wolfman Woody

Sorry Lee and Michael, I'm with Phil on this.

Any fines come down to the public in the end. If profits are wasted, they'll charge more next year.

The one way to hurt the company and individuals concerned is to jail them. That way, they'll make sure it doesn't happen in the first place because they'll pay with their own freedom.

Only last year a belgian company was found dumping waste material on a site (not in a river or anything really illegal) <u>without filing the correct documentation</u>. That was all, but the MD and three directors were incarcerated in a prison and denied all access to the business for 3 months and the case never went trial.

And we have bleeding hearts in this country when a terrorist is detain for more than 28 days!/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

Nothing to do with the polution of the Wandle of course so don't get sidetracked. The key message of the new story, which was excellently written by the way, is <u>JOIN THE ACA</u> as an individual member. Don't wait for your club to do it, join now.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Heard today that TW have been fined ?12m by Off-Wat for not keeping proper customer records. Looks like people put more value on keeping records than they do of living creatures and the environment.

Some years ago a friend had a bad accident whilst visiting a customers site (scaffolding collapsed) and has never worked since. He didn't get a penny because he hadn't sign the visitors book. The world has gone $loody mad.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Sickening too see an urban river suffer such a fate ,I have seen it all too often in my own town.What do the youngsters do now eh .

Peter Rolfe

Reaction score
If everyone of us who reads this excellent article and discussion joins the ACA as a result, then somegood will have come out of thissad event.

F

Fred Bonney

It's all very well restocking the river,what about the insects etc,in other words the food sources?

Make the Directors pay from their own pockets.