Barbel Fishing: Welchy Opens Up

cg74

Reaction score
Liked the quip regards FFF but "best ever" is playing it down a bit; best ever, ever, EVER!! Is more like it.:D

But didn't you once lecture us about using "devils spawn" (high oil pellets), am I wrong in thinking those feeders are sat on some halibut pellets?:confused::)

Reaction score
Ian

Although it is an excellent product, Kryston Droppem is wax based, which makes it partly buoyant. Therefore a 'blob' of the stuff is relatively large weight for weight - ie for every sinking particle of tungsten it holds there is a corresponding amount of buoyant material. At the moment it is not the best sinking putty on the market.

I know this because I designed and manufactured the extruder head that Uncle Dave uses to make the stuff.

Have you tried Kryston Heavy Metal Extra? Heavy metal holds a very large amount of tungsten so a much smaller blob is required to create the same weight as droppem.

PS Yes FFF are the dog's danglies

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Can someone post up details of where to get these FFFs please. They sound like exactly the right thing.

Windy

Reaction score
Excellent article.
As a non-Barbelista (unless fishing for the pot) it gives some helpful insights.

Mind you, the revelation above that Corky designs nozzles that crimp out brown goo is something that also explains a very great deal :eek:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Excellent article.
As a non-Barbelista (unless fishing for the pot) it gives some helpful insights.

If you fish for the pot Windy you might care to try the following:

Young Barbel with Shallots and Mushrooms

One barbel of around 1 1/2lb
Knob of butter
Chopped parsley
2 Shallots
1/4lb of mushrooms
3- 4 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
1 glass white wine
Juice 1/2 lemon

Make 1 or 2 incisions in the fleshy part of the back of the fish and put in a well buttered fireproof dish. Chop the shallots and the mushrooms and add to the dish together with the chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Cover the fish with breadcrumbs add the wine and the lemon juice to the dish and cook in a low ovenfor about 45 minutes, basting frequently.

Delicious!

Windy

Reaction score
Good recipe.
Should work well with Pike too I think.
Look forward to trying it.

Last edited: