Korda

steveo

Reaction score
Anyone had any problems with Korda's tungsten weighted clear/greeny leader's?

For as long i can rememberI have alway's mademy own leadcore leader's when i need them,they last for age's and have served me well.Like many other angler's i sometime's but something I dont need but feel like trying when i browse the tackle shop's'

The Korda leader's caught my eye,I was low onleadcore and thought i'd give the Kordas a try.

I could see no specific instruction on the best method of attaching the leader to my mainline(15lb Big Game,a thick line),the picture looked like a grinner and as that's whatI usually use for my leadcore I used it to connect the Korda leader.I was using 4oz's and not casting more than 50-70yard's,I only made 4 cast's in total on the leader and had 2 carp neither of which were monsters.

I often check hook's knot's etc and to my horror noticed that my mainline had almost cut through the loop on the leader,This could of meant a crack off or lost fish,both with a baited rig left in the lake.I checked the other leader and it was starting to look dodgy too.

I threw the leaders in the bin where they belong and have emailed Korda expressing my concerns.Iwas not asking for a refund/freebie's etc and I have yet to recieve a reply from them.

Anyone else???????????????????????????/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

I am either a ham fisted oaf or the leader's were bad,I did tie the knot's carefully

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Stevo.

I haven't used leadcore yet. But I have recently learned how to tye my own. As to your problem finding a nearly cut through loop, wouldn't it be better to splice a swivel in the loop, and then tye your mainline to the other end of the swivel?

steveo

Reaction score
Baz not quite fully understanding the extent of your madness and knowing that you like a wind up,I have assumed that your last post is a P**S take...

If not then if I tied my mainline to the swivel and suffered a crack off or got cut off theni would be leaving a rig in the lake that would be a possible death sentance to any carp that may pick up the rig or to a hooked and lost carp,if using a lead clip then at best all that would be lost would be the lead and if using a helicopter rig then there would be know way for the hooklink to pass over the swivel plus there would also be a lead on the end.

W

Wolfman Woody

Aaaaww, Steveo. Not everything Baz says is a "P**S take". There are times, rarely admittedly, when he comes out with some absolute gem of information or suggestion, you really have to know how his mind is working. That something that has baffled psychologists for years, mind, and there are now several hundred requests for Baz to leave his brain for medical research at some of the top universities in the country.

Personally, I don't like leadcore at the best of times on the cleanest of bottoms for the very reason you point out. A friend uses it withthe loop-to-loop method, but I know he has lost end rigs on occasions too.

However, you might try attaching it using the needle knot, often used in fly fishing for attaching fly line to backing. A little adaptation and you won't even need the needle.

J

Jonathan Northmore BA HONS

If possible, grab the leaders back out of the bin and send back to Korda with a letter of explanation.

Other people may be using these in the same way but may not have noticed, or even bothered checking for damage. Korda need to know of this defect so they can either pull the product from sale (if it is a common problem), or highlight a better way of attaching these leaders.

J

Jonathan Northmore BA HONS

Also, with the grinner, try passing the line through the leader loop 3 or 4 times before tying it. This will the surface of line in contact with the leader and should stop it cutting through the leader.

Reaction score
Loop to loop is the best knot to attach the Korda leaders with due to the pressure is spread out over 2 pieces of line rather than one.

I stopped using the Korda leaders after the first session with them through similar problems. Had one leader clean break 2/3's of the way along it for no reason. Venue was not snaggy nor was the leader damaged before the cast (I always run my fingers along leaders before each castto straighten them out and check for damage). The other leaders had varying sized loops on them with a couple actually having no hole in the loop and to have threaded line through it would have required the use of a sewing needle to make a hole and the thread.

Went back to making my own leaders and not had any problems since. Even now, I still splice a loop in the mainline end and attach them loop to loop.

W

Wolfman Woody

STEVEO - I emailed Korda for you, but you may also have had some correspondence yourself.

This was their reply -

"The Safe Zone Leaders are a plastic coated 30lb Mono, the knot will dig into the material but it won’t cut through it as long as it is tied on using either a Palomar or loop to loop knot. The loop to loop knot is handy as it enables you to change leaders without having to tie another knot. The leaders are expensive but they do last a long time, one chap came up to the stand at one of the shows and said he’d had the same one nearly a year!!"

I was under the impression that they were lead core with a braided outer sleeve.

F

Frothey

Nope!

if you aregoing to use the needle knot (with leadcore) make sure you leave a long tag so the line can fold over itself - a short tag can jam the bead, especially if you glue the knot. or use the "keith moors" knot which is neater and doesnt leave a tag....

heard people say the same about most of the coated leaders, i didcome up witha knot which seemed to work without digging in when i tried one but stopped using the leaders. i'll see if i can remember how to tie it!

steveo

Reaction score
Thank's everyone even Baz for the input.

I have jus had an email from Korda explaining the need for attaching their leader's using a loop knot or palomar.

They have said to me that as they do not have anyknot reccommendation's on the packgeing that they are going to put knotting instruction's on them from now on.

Im gonna go back to my leadcore,Its reliable andknow where i stand with it

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif cheers's