MEN from the BOYS

CAT

Reaction score
Right gentlemen, who among you are going to be spending a night under the stars fishing on the rivers and lakes over the next few weeks, now the weather has turned? Autumnal weather, Wind & Rain, I love it, but i put it to you!

Who are the Butterfly Fishermen and who are the Hardcore Anglers?

steveo

Reaction score
Bring on the mud,wet,cold,stench....Ahhhh How I love The Smell Of A Stinking Wet Bivvy In The Morning.

For me.This is the start of the season

MikeW

Reaction score
Fished a few sessions last year through the winter, just 3 or 4 hours in to dark and not all not mind. I was after some big stillwater chub on deadbaits, a few of the sessions were 'cold', but you can't beat sitting there under the stars, no brolly or bivvie. I'm definitely planning to do it again this winter...../forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

steveo

Reaction score
Yeh Mike a few hour's on the Avon for a plump chavender is a wonderfull experience.After that I go home,I have found that on the part of the river I fish that the majority of chavender's bite through the first couple of hour's of dark,after that the swim's die........If im doing a night for a carp then im in the bag in the bivvy...bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

"Aaahh I love the smell of a stinking wet bivvy in the morning."

For The Monk, replace the term "bivvy" with "Ruffe Slapper"!!!

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

steveo

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/sleepy_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Me......like Steveo says my season is now starting.

Select your day and you are up against fish that are hungry and have little in the way of mother natures gifts................if i have to sit out all night on a clear star spangled evening.............bring it on!

Good shout Steveo!

E

EC

I'm off the Dane tomorrow night after teaand can't wait to get a bit chilly, planned the trip earlier this week, shame its nearly a full moon, stupid Edward!

gerry h

Reaction score
am fishing in 35degrees every day its a nightmare sitting there sweating your boilies off,would love a bit of autumn chubbin

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

Gentlemen It’s all very well parading your macho image in your 30s, but take these words of caution from an aging warhorse who’s been there, done it, got the tee-shirt, had rheumatism for over 15 years and now the onset of osteoarthritis in both knees and is still doing it.

When I started in this game over 35 years ago, we had frosts for weeks on end, with an average nighttime temperature of –7F The lowest temperature I can remember fishing in is –14F on the Severn in the early 70s May have been 74 or 5 and at midnight when I packed up with everything frozen solid, including my top clothes, I had a 2 hour journey home on a motorbike.

So you think your really hard men fishing in your hightech one piece suit, thermal boots, double skinned bivvy, all cosy in your minus 30 sleeping bag with an air temperature unlikely to make it into the minus figure.

You don’t know you’re born with the winters we get now! 7 nights frost per winter if we’re lucky, and that’s in the north of the country.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

They've never had it so good Phil ......

T

trev matthews

Im off for 3 days tomorrow night i love it /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif I dont quite understand how you could be off for three days in only one night ? lol

I too love sitting out in the autumn and winter when the rest of my venue is empty, turns up a few cracking surprises which just emcompasses what its all about really.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Well, would you believe it, this thread has made me feel like a boy again/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
I know how you feel Phil, as although I am in my early 30's, I am suffering from similar ailments as yourself, yet still fish sessions regardless of the weather. Not easy to do at times, but worth the effort when you do land that fish you have been waiting for.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Even after several opps on by back and thesurgeon has now written me off, I'm (still) on the waiting list for two new knees and,the fact that I now have to walk down the river bank backwards, I still look forward to my winter chubbing. I never have been an 'overnighter' though, I don't even have a brolly these days.

We've already had a few frosts up here, roll on winter /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifAt least there is now little chance of getting a barbel by mistake /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifhopefully.