How to get

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

When I was in my 20s and 30s I could walk for miles, climb over rocks at the coast and scale steep cliffs. I could even walk 5 miles with a 20lb yellowtail over my shoulder together with a 13 foot beachcaster and Penn 49.

These days I have a problem onthe rocky banks of the Trent or the slopes of a fenland drain. But I am only 65 and I see people of my age running the London marathon.

Anyone got any "quick fix" ideas for getting me back to 20s fit again?

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Sex.....lots of it, with black, white, red, and whatever colours...............honest Ron, i ain't givin ya no Bull.

But jasus.......is that the only way you can remember how fit you were in your prime?

R

I think you want to kill me off Brummie.

R

Hey Brummie, there are other things of course but this is a family website.

R

I do walk quite a bit EC, but I get tired darned quick.

I did about 2 miles of a local river yesterday and at least I caught two pike.

Deanos

Reaction score
Ron,

Check out Chi Kung, it is easy to learn, a great way to renew your youthful energy.

Couple this with flexibility exercises, and light weights.

An hour a day of the above would make a great deal of difference, and, as you are a very disciplined person, you could take it on.

As we age deterioration takes place with energy, strength and flexibility. This can be stabelised and improved.

Mail me if you really would like to change the picture,I would be happy to help and advise with any of the above.

E

EC

If you're serious Ron, have a look at a few of the schedules there mate, nothing mad, just things like'walk for2 minutes then run for 20/30 seconds' and repeat etc. Without doubt it is the best way to get a bit of fitness back!

Just buy a decent pair of running shoes beforehand ifyou decide to try!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Ron......the running bit Eddie shows yer is just foreplay to what i said.

I done loads of runnin....but never with anyone remotely resembling her!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Get that heart pumping, use it but don't over abuse it. Running machine but you dont need to 'run' mate. Got mine a while back, 3 min's and i was knackered (i used to run for the county) now i do 2-3 miles (20-35mins, enough for me)a day and really enjoy it and feel a whole lot better too, along with lots of water. Still enjoy me John Smiths but not had ahangover for months now, pretty damn sure i was unfit and under watered.

B

Bully

Ron - if you are serious about this then yes, there is something you can do, but no way back to 20's fit !!

I do loads of fitness work, but at 46 I have gradually changed from real hard work stuff, like road running, weights, into aerobic stuff on machines etc. This is to protect my knee joints and others.

The best thing as you get older is stretching, diet and moderate aerobic exercise. Sadly the diet bit is the hardest, but most obvious!

The absolute key bit is to make it a regular "thing" rather than the odd intense period.

So I regularly drink loads of beer/wine, eat well, but exercise daily and do lots of water. But it has to be a lifestyle thing rather than a "one off". As I get older I will either moderate my drinking/eating OR..............become an unfit fat bugger!!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

No one has yet give a better option than me Ron.

Judo and running are ok.....but none of em are more enjoyable than my suggestion, trust me!.

Wol is right tho.........drink, but Fek the water, have a gallon of bank's near by, just like Des recomended to you on your visits to the Dudley waters.

You did change your will to leave me all yourfishing gear...rather than that thankless son who buggers off and leaves the land of our forefathers.....didn't you?

R

Thanks very much for the advice chaps, I will consider a lot of what you say. I do tend to eat decent food, lots of fresh fruit and veg. I don't drink much wine or beer these days because it gives me gout. The only tipple I allow myself is vodka and fresh crushed orange juice. I also drink a large amount of water and tea. I don't touch coffee because my quack told me it was poisonous.

It's just that my arms work as good as they did in my 20s. I can cast a fly or a lure just as well. It's the bloody legs that frustrate me. They just don't seem as strong.

R

And I don't visit pubs these days because quite honestly the price of a pint of beer is extortionate. At my local its just gone up to £2,65.

For the price of 2 pints of beer I can get a bottle of vodka at my local Asda which will give me quite a few drinks over a few days, plus I can put something healthy with it.

I find that at most British pubs they don't have a fresh orange crusher behind the bar. All they seem to have is those miserable little Britvic bottles of orange that cost the bloody earth. Go to SA or the States and they have a proper orange crusher.

The problem with British pubs is the cost of visiting them.

And when I hear the landlords complaining that their takings are down, I laugh in their bloody faces. It's their fault.

Deanos

Reaction score
Pinching women's underwear off washing lines keeps you fit! especially if the old Bill turn up just as you are halfway over the privet hedge with a big pair of belly grabbers hanging out of your pocket...by hell it makes you shift a bit i can tell you!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Ron.

Take up swimming mate. No strain on your mussles. No jarring your knee joints on hard surfaces. All of your body mussles get used, and it improves your breathing.

McPlop

Reaction score
Biking would be my suggestion. If its justyour legs you want to re-live their youth. The UK is very well geared up for it. Butplease dont knock the great british Boozer!

W

Wolfman Woody

I was really disappointed in Deanos' first posting, I didn't find it funny at all. It was serious and good advice too.

He second posting was better, but how do you know Ron doesn't do this already?

Get a dog, a rottweiler, and he'll walk you for miles and miles.

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

Dog for me as well!

On average I walk about 5 miles a day with mine, added to the other walking I do, that’s walk everywhere locally, I’m probably doing 8-10 miles a day.

The health fascists recon to have a reasonable level of fitness you need to walk 10,000 steps a day and they know everything if you listen to them talk.

It stats with aB and depending on how you spell it, itcould end in ks or an X