Launch of Gamma Molecularly Altered Lines

• Thread starter Jonathan Northmore BA HONS
  • Start date
J

Jonathan Northmore BA HONS

Just sounds like a complete load of marketing bo*lox to me.

Plus it's bl*ody expensive!

C

Cakey

Id like a yard or two to do my normal testing !

anyone ??????

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
I've been using some Gamma co-polymer line since early this year, and I can't fault it. I was lucky enough to be given some by somebody who was field testing it. Brilliant stuff!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

<u>Quotes from anglers who have switched to Gamma:</u>

Martin James, BBC Radio Lancashire:
It’s the best I have used. I know it won’t let me down. It’s very good on knot strength and its abrasion qualities are excellentSince using Gamma line my catches have increased dramatically, including many personal best fish from fresh and saltwater. It’s a quality line for anglers who want the best. Tony King, Specimen Hunter
As a multi-species specimen hunter, I demand the best in fishing tackle and line in particular. Gamma line is the best.

Marc Coulson, Editor Total Carp Magazine:
Gamma offers the perfect combination of strength and diameter, as well as being extremely supple and user friendly. I want some!

Tim Hodges, Sony World Carp Champion and All-Round Specimen Hunter:
Pound for pound, diameter for diameter, Gamma line is unbeatable.Test Gamma line against your favourite line and I’ll guarantee you’ll change to Gamma – there is no contest.When you’re playing a fish of a lifetime, the last thing you want to let you down is your line – Gamma is the solution.Whether it’s a fluorocarbon hooklink or a tough abrasion resistant mainline, Gamma is the only choice to make. No other line even comes close.

Paul Smyth, Specimen hunter:
Having fished all my life for a multitude of species and tried most lines available on the market, I can genuinely say that I have never come across any line as exciting as Gamma. It is the ideal line with absolutely no compromise.

Simon Pomeroy, Pallatrax:
Gamma Technologies have re-invented fishing line. It really is the molecular shape of things to come!Gary Newman, Specimen Hunter and Angling Journalist:
I was incredibly impressed by the bench tests that we did on this line and it appeared to be very strong for its diameter and highly abrasion resistant with great knot strength.Scientific tests indoors always seem a bit false to me though, and what really impressed me was seeing it in use on the bank. The 2 lb breaking strain version failed to snap even when it became caught in branches – not something I’m used to with light line.I’ve since had a play around with both the mono and fluorocarbon, and was so impressed that I have loaded several of my spools with different breaking strains.

Nick Marlow, Editor Tackle Trade World:
A line that’s almost as strong with a knot in it as without – does it get any better than this?

You can’t fish without having to tie a knot – and no line performs better with a knot in it than a GAMMA line. It’s limp, has fantastic strength to diameter and sinks. What more could you ask for? Try it – you’ll be blown away!

Chris Ponsford, Specimen Hunter and Angling Journalist:
Gamma - for clear thinking anglers.I have used Gamma line extensively for my fishing over the past year, finding it great for making long leaders on the end of my main line, be it for Barbel or Carp fishing.It is heavy, sinks like a stone and is hard to see.Gamma certainly is strong and has never let me down, unlike some other fluorocarbons I have tried, which can be like wire to use and brittle.

S

Shrek

Graham Marsden, FM Editor

??????????????

Does this mean you've not tried it yet Graham?

Reaction score
ive got some and will be trying it out next week ive had some for about a month now but i am abit scared of useing it if i am honest i need to make sure my clutch is set right and everything is spot on due to being no stretch in the line the last thing i wont to do is get a fish have my reel set wrong and leave a fish whith a hook in its mouth

W

Wolfman Woody

How many of the above got it for nowt?

Hard to say bad things about some-at you're given. I do, but then I don't get much. /forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

On the other hand it could be the best thing since sliced bread. What does the Pons really think? He comes on here so let's hear it -

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Brendan, it's great to use and I've had no problems. I've been using itsince Spring, and it's been superb. The knot strength is great, and it copes well with my inevitable snags!

I got my first two double figure carp whilst using it the other week. Very scary, as I was fishing for perch at the time!

Edited to say:- Woody, I was fishing with Martin James during the spring, and commented on how good the line was and how well it performed. He then kindly sent me some to try out.I'll be buying more as soon as it hits the shelves of my local tackle shop!

Reaction score
woody i was given mine for nowt and when i try it if i like it i will carry on useing it mine was given too my out off kindness no strings attached so i have no hidden agenda abit like janet we arnt field testers

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

ok, not one, not one negative on it, must be incredible line. What i would like to read from 'the' testers is why its so good?

So taking for instance at random

"Having fished all my life for a multitude of species and tried most lines available on the market, I can genuinely say that I have never come across any line as exciting as Gamma. It is the ideal line with absolutely no compromise."

Enlighten me a little more on it? Has is put you more fish on the bank and why? What line were you previously using and how does it compare? A little more on the reasons for using it rather than a plug would be most welcome.

Andy M

Reaction score
re Martin James quyote. How on earth do your catch rates increase <u>dramatically</u> by switching to this line? Unless of course he was using old rope before.

And re another quote - if a 2lb bs line does not break when stuck in trees as before it is clearly not a 2lb BS line, whatever the label might say.

Much of above seems a bit OTT to me.

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Andy, I can't speak for Martin, but I know that when we've been out fishing for chub, he always uses the Gamma line. He wouldn't use a product he wasn't totally happy with, and he certainly wouldn't recommend it either. If you knew him, you'd know that he won't settle for second best. I don't know about the quote, but perhaps Gamma's advertising people may have had a hand in embellishing it slightly?

Warren, I don't really know enough about it towrite a comparison about lines, but as someone who's been using it for severalmonths, I'll try!I can tell you that on my reels at the moment I have Gamma, Ultima Power Plus, Ultima Power Match, Browning sinking match line & Browning Black Magic Feeda Line. The 6lb Gamma line I'm using is by far the best. It doesn't come off the reels in coils like some of the others, holds knots extremely well without losing strength and at the end of a day's fishing, it isn't all kinked and twirly (technical terms there!) It's supple, strong and copes well with all the snags on my local river whereas some of the others just don't last the distance. It's also fine enough that I use it for float fishing on my local pond as well. It sinks well, and seems to have low visibility.

I'm no expert, obviously. All I can say is that I like it, I'm confident using it, and I'll be buying more.

P

pons

Morning All,

I dont get on the forums as much as I use too,but just to pick up on this thread as I do like Fishing Magic as a forum site,because there is plenty of fun and sensible comment.

Yes ,I have been using Gamma for a while,as well as Korum stuff,because they do sponsor me.

It seems blooming good stuff so far,and I have used it in various strains,2lb on the float,4-6lb for perching and chub,brim etc,and heavier for Carp and Barbel.

It's lack of visibility seems great,and the weight of it in 14lb and 20lb which I use for long fleuro leaders ,a real asset ,and means no leadcore leaders are needed,a real plus for me as I dontfeel comfortable with that set up any more.

With the Carping, instead of backleads,I use kryston drop 'em putty about four ft above the weight,usually a stonze,moulding on a a piece about two inches long andabout an1/8th of an inch thick,and fish fairly slack lines.

On the barbel,or rivers,I use the pallatrax double stonze lilo system,usually cupping the rig in with a pole cup and pole on the small rivers like the Ouse.

Both carp and barbel rigs are on 12lb gamma ,but often with thin braid hooklinks ,pinned down with small blobs of drop em putty

Having tried many lines over the years,and binned just as many,Iwont say it is the best thing since sliced bread,but it does seem excellent so far ,and has never let me down,however ,nor has my Korum line which is tough asold boots,reminding meof maxima or bayer perlon.

It has had rave reviews from the yankswho competition fish,where they fish for $100,000 dollars prizes.................................lucky gits.

Pons

Deanos

Reaction score
Pons, I hope this question isn't too thick, are you using the 2lb as a main line for the float or as a hook length?

Thank you for a good honest appraisal, very interesting!!!!!!!

P

pons

Deanos,

The 2lb is great as floatfishing line,strong as anything,and I use it stick float fishing catching live baits for perching on the ouse,often catching proper big bonus fish like chub and big trout !

It has a fair amount of stretch,so is user freindly.

It would be fine I am sure for hooklinks,but generally I use Prestons reflo powerline for that insizes from .08 to .013 dias .

Hope that helps,

Pons

W

Wolfman Woody

Pons - "It has a fair amount of stretch,so is user freindly."

Brendon - "due to being no stretch in the line"

But to be fair, Brendon also say he hasn't tried it yet.

I believe it's impossible to make a polymer or co-polymer without any stretch and even those who say it has little stretch, when you test it you find 10% or more in it. I don't mind that and I don't mind manufacturers boasting about fine diameters or greater breaking strains, but this marketting world is full of puff (exagerations not limp-wristers) and it's hard to know what's what.

I just received a spool of Korum, 5lbs and .20mm. That's about what I expect. When I see a .15mm line with a breaking strain of 7lbs (not this Gamma stuff) warning bells ring!

A set standard is what I would like, every line measured identically to everone elses.