A Day on Drayton

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)
  • Start date
Reaction score
As an FM'er who has happily caught shoot-all at Clattercote for the past couple of matches (except for the odd suicidal bream), I can honestly say i don't want to move to a runs water.

This is a 'Memorial' match (that needs continuity and respect), and for me the day is more about meeting up with fellow members, having a laugh and realising why our time fishing with friends is so precious, not bagging up on fat, easy fish.

S

Shrek

My air rifle?

By all means, if you want to get arrested!!!!!!!! Anyway, this is drayTON, not drayCOTE!! This one's full of rat fish not trout!!!!

S

Shrek

From what I remember, they netted it out a few years ago and moved all the high double figure carp to another water (can't remember which one) and only left single figure carp in there. These have obviously grown on after reading the report.

It also came very close (might even have broken) the 5 hour match record. If memory serves me correctly the angler had something in excess of 450lb of fish all on floating dog biscuit.

There's also a very good head of pike and roach in there too.

W

Wolfman Woody

How do you keep carp of that size <u>safely</u> in a keep net during a match?

I'm happy with Clattercote, I feel I might be getting the hang of blanking well there now!

W

Wolfman Woody

"Beware the rats. We would suggest BW has a go at some rat eradication."

Perhaps take some hand cleaner along then.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have never fished this water but I've heard a lot about it like most people. It is on the line of most of BWB's carp waters in that it is prolific the difference here is the size of the fish which can prove to be a problem if you are using a keepnet as in a match. Perhaps we could fish it in two halves of two and a half hours each half weighing in at half time as well as at full time, do you think returning the fish half way thru a match would affect the fishing Mark/Graham. I know it isn't good policy to do that in match fishing but I suggest it as an option for those that are concerned about the weight of the fish in keepnets, 6 of these carp in a net could weigh 70lbs or more!

I am interested in it as a change of venue from Clattercote but not fussed either way really.

M

Mark Hodson

Just a suggestion but what about another BW water Blythe Waters, its centrally located (just off J5 M42) not a large water but one that regularly provides good match returns and can be fished (and stand a chance of framing) on a variety of methods. Good facilities as well (cafe, toilet) and car parking close to all the lakes. Also a good mix of species, this sort of venue would support a float only event or something of that nature if suggested also.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Mark, I think your comment to me in the pub after Clattercote that hauling out carp wasn't match fishing.Not sure how Drayton qualifies given the article? There was a thread in the aftermath of the match as to a change of venue and the consensus amongst the regulars was that at least foranother year Clattercote would do fine.Can we put the issue to bed until after next year's match on that basis?

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Having now fished both waters I still feel that Clattercote offers the overall best options of the two. I just wanted to try it and see for myself.

Looks like I'll have to visit Blythe Waters now, the BW water thatMark (Hodson) suggests. Well, somebody's got to do it/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

J

Jonathan Northmore BA HONS

It's a hard life, Graham! /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

I thought there was a very good reason for choosing clattercote as the venue for this match? It being a memorial and all. People not catching as many fish, or even blanking is not a good reason to change the venue of a memorial match. Sometimes (most of the time?!) we blank, get over it....that's fishing!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have fished Blythe (Solihull nr B'ham)many times from when it first opened, I'm not convinced it is a suitable alternative to Clattercote though it is shall we say, more intimate, as it is a very small water in comparison.

There is nothing stopping us fishing Draycote as an extra venue over and above Clattercote is there?

F

Fred Bonney

I'm all for another fishin but,leave Keith's Memorial fishin,where it is.

S

Shrek

There is nothing stopping us fishing Draycote as an extra venue over and above Clattercote is there

Now that would be interesting. Would this be from the bank or boat?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Personally I think the size of the fish should preclude match fishing Drayton - several fish that size in a keepnet? No thanks. But for a day's pleasure fishing once in a while it was seriously good fun. The bend in the Avon rod I was using had to be seen to be believed, and as Graham says these were very hard fighting fish. But that doesn't mean Clattercote is much better; fishing under the boards cannot be that good for the carps' welfare - 2.5 test curve rods and heavy gear don't make the problem go away either. As for blanking I did plenty of that in the seventies when single small dace were often enough to win matches, and if you are blanking when all around are catching then I suggest you need some fishing lessons!

Pete

Reaction score
I've fished Drayton a couple of times and I'm surprised you didn't mention the poor quality of the fish (although they are big). Every fish I've caught (I've had upto 30 in a day) has had really bad mouth damage, couple that with fishing that is so easy you could scoop a net in and bag a fish and I'd avoid it.

The first time I went I loved it but then realised that it just isn't sporting, it really can be like shooting fish in a barrel.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

I agree, it is too easy to fish regularly, but nice as a confidence booster for anyone having a lean time.

Yes, some of the fish had mouth damage, mainly in one corner, but otherwise the fish were in excellent condition. That doesn't mean that I find mouth damage acceptable.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I think the Keith Culley Match should remain at Clattercote. I've only fished the match once but even then came away with the feeling that it was obviously appropriate and had a sense of a liitle bit of history about it.

Drayton would be good for another day out but with normal water levels may provoke even more discussion about "big carp under the boards"!