Imagine your own fishery

Yacko

Reaction score
If you could create your own fishery what type would it be and how would you design it?

What species would you stock and if it had to be fished by guests / members what rules would you lay down?

Fin

Reaction score
Have thought about this one myself.

About 25 acres with a couple of small islands to break the lake up into distinct areas. Depths ranging from 16ft in a couple of deeper holes to 3ft in the margins with lots of gravel bars and plateaus to target. Lots of lilly beds for cover for fish with a big shallow weedy bay for spawning fish.

Fish I would stock would be Carp, Tench, Bream and Rudd.

And I'd keep it all to myself!!!!

W

Wolfman Woody

Same as Fin, but crucians, tench, bream, roach, rudd, and some perch to keep the rudd in check.

About 9 acres max is manageable with a couple of islands and I wouldn't let that tight fisted Fin fish in it if he won't let me fish his./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Fin

Reaction score
Woody. As soon as I open the gates on my new fishery you'll be first on my list.....

...black list that is!!!....Only kiddin.

I visited a friend in London during the summer and we did 3 days on Farlows lake near Iver and while I really liked the lake I was amazed how much rubbish and line I found in some of the swims. Some very strong rules on litter are definitely necessary. You can't trust all anglers to be able to tie rigs properly so certain materials such as leadcore would probably also have to blacklisted.

N

NomadPaul

it'd be like an old estate lake - tree-lined - lily clad -NO platforms or barked swims - left to go natural - Main species - True wildie Carp onlyTench Crucians Bream Rudd Roach Eels - One rod only allowed - No boilies

It would be like stepping back in time.......

B

Bully

The lake we fish at for the James Farrow memorial would be my ideal....is it Mallard at Snetterton?

Yacko

Reaction score
As I asked the question I should describe my fishery.

A group of lakes with a least one with no carp- so that I could fish light and not get smashed up.

Estate type lakes with depths suitable for float fishing - not too shallow in the margins.

Lily-beds and trees but not too close to swims. Able to park car close and in sight.

Tall fences and locked gates.

Species to include Tench, Crusians, Bream, Roach, Grass carp.

Possibly no King Carp - I can go almost anywhere for those.

Not sure about Rudd as they can be very spraty. Would think carefully about perch - I like big ones but not the tiddlers that swallow your hook.

Perhaps it would be a syndicate so I could avoid irresponsible types who drop litter, cast over muliple swims etc.

It's hard to say what the rules would need to be as until problems arise you dont need to ban things but could be:-

One rod only

No camo

No carpies (sorry but the idea is for a return to proper angling)

No pratice casting

No bait-boats

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

have we all gone lake mad what about rivers.I have sole rights to a 1 mile stretch of small river near where i live and love wondering around all by myself catching roach dace perch and the odd chub.Its my idea of heaven.come on lads whats up with rivers.

Yacko

Reaction score
Absolutely nothing wrong with rivers - just I have trouble catching anything from them- but that's my problem