whip/method/polaris combo?!

Londonchris

Reaction score
After our session last night (see:The pleasure angle thread) , i wonder if i could combine my lads 3mtr whip with a small method feeder & polaris float ???

A/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif No messing with reels with a whip.

B/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif He likes a float to watch.

C/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif I`m crap at split shotting properly & better a feeder fishing.

Will it work? going to try anyway /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Chris i just bought some polaris floats from Ebay and in the collection i bought was a polaris float for a pole, so it should work with a whip. I'm gonna try it out some time this week on my whip.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Chris,

Unless you are fishing a particularly deep close-in venue then I cannot see where or how a polaris float will help you on a 3m whip.

If you think about it, you have 3 meters of 'pole' with just under 3 meters of line attached, so your total range is 6 meters, minus the depth that you are fishing at.

Better to stick to the methods that the whip was designed for, i.e. relatively swiftly catching small(ish) fish close in to the bank.

You don't have to have the shotting capabilities of a Stevie Gardner for the whip, a light float, with just one dropper shot about 6 inches from the hook will easily suffice.

Wendy, I'd be interested to hear the results of your experiments though.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Peter, the whip i have is a 5m one, i'll try it out and let you know how i get on with it i've only ever used the 4m and 5m whip with a float as you have said.

Londonchris

Reaction score
Peter, the floats only for the lad to watch /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gifkeeps him more interested (few for minutes anyway), and i found a nice spot for 1.5lb plus bream no more than 1.5mtrs out & about 1 mtr deep.