Canon Question

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Consider me a complete novice when it comes to photograpghy, but will the lens from my EOS300 SLR fit onto a 350D body? (and more importantly, will it work!)

And what difference, if any, is there between a 'nomal' 350D and a Rebel XT' 350D

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Only lenses made for digital cameras will fit the 350D and the difference between the 350D and the Rebel XT 350D is only the fact that the Rebel is made for the American market, otherwise it's the same camera.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
EOS 'EF' fit lenses will fit any Canon EOS camera digital or stone age film ones, the focal length will differ though. Lenses designed for the digital models sometimes have odd sounding zoom ranges but these are equivelant to the 'normal' zoom range or focal lengths of 35mm models.

The difference is caused by the CCD sensor or 'film plane' in the digitalsbeing asmaller area than a 35mm negative.

For example a standard 50mm fixed focal length lens for a 35mm camera will not give the same field of view on a digital model like the 350D. In other words on a 350D it's no longer a 50mm lens however it will work and what you see through the view finder is still what you get.

I'm sure there is a ratio you can use to work out what the equivelent focal length is between 35mm & digital on t'internet somewhere but I'm at work and can't search for it now.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Thanks Graham

Looks like it will have to be plan 'B' then!Still, birthday and Xmas coming up, time to drop a few hints.......!

Sory Paul, missed your reply. Looks like it might be back to plan 'A' then.........

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I have a 350D Kevin and I use the 24-85mm lens from my old EOS 50e 35mm camera with no problems.

When I looked digital SLRs that was one reason I stuck with Canon, I have a Canon EZ flashgun too and that also syncs with the 350D perfectly.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
What you can't do is fit the special digital versions of the lenses onto the old 35mm cameras; you won't get the coverage and the mirror may hit the back of the lens!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Sorry, what I meant was that the old EOS lenses are not fully functional on digital EOS cameras. The focal length of a non digital lens should be multiplied by a factor of 1.5(1.6 on a Nikon)to arrive at its new focal length, ie, anon digital50mm lens will be about80mm on a digital camera.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Plan 'C' then :-

From the reviews I've seen, looks like the Nikon D40x is a farbetter performer (certainly with standard lenses supplied) and at a similar price to the Canon 400D.

Is the Nikon really a better option?

C

Cakey

Kevin having had the d40 and the 400d I think the 400d is better but Ive now got the Nikon d80 which I think is better than the 400d and there are some amazing deals on the d80 on e-bay

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Oh well, I went and splashed out on the Nikon D40x and so far it appears to be thedog's danglies. Trouble is, I've nowgot an EOS300 SLR which is almost new and is worth about sixpence, apparently!

W

Wolfman Woody

I'll give you a shilling for it.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

Kevin got rid of the 400D on ebay with-in an hour took £450 + postage

so its worth a try

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Have pity on the poor old Monk. He has a Nikon F5 he paid £4k for and it's not worth zilch!

Generally speaking, Nikon DSLRs in the medium price range are superior to Canons. They are more user friendly,the build quality is better and the lenses seem to perform better, according to most photomags that I read.