feeder fishing accuracy

nicky

Reaction score
I've been trying to hone my feeder fishing skills lately and whilst the majority off cast are on the money i get very frustrated when a few go slightly off target, what i was wondering is what is considered as accurate casting do you want to be hiting a spot the size of a dust bin lid for instance, or is the size of say a kitchen table ok?

How accurate do you have to be before the bites tail off?

S

Shrek

My mentor used to get me practicing on a field casting into a kids hula-hoop from 50 yards out.

Londonchris

Reaction score
Kitchen table size isn`t bad, spot on is better.

Take into consideration the flow if any, and if your at the same distance (abit left or right is ok generally but too long or short may be a big depth difference ect.

As for bites, you should be ok but spreading the bait about will make finding your hook (bait)! abit harder amongst a bigger "table cloth" area.

How much it affects is down to the location/weather ect might make more or less difference in different swims.

PLUS: You also have to consider that how long before you trip the bail arm & how much you tighten up because this will affect where you end up regardless of where the feeder hits the water.

Paul C

Reaction score
Nicky

Out of interest, what species are you generally fishing for and what sort of range?

nicky

Reaction score
carp and bream around forty yards out, some waters i fish it doesn't seem to matter if your're not perfect, but my local i have had very limited success on and get paranoid that it could be down to me, when a cast goes left or right a bit i get frustrated which takes away from the enjoyment, but then when i think about it logically as long as the distance is right which it usually is surely three foot either way isn't a great distanceit would probably take distance for a decent size bream to turn around?

J

Jonathan Northmore BA HONS

I remember breaming on the Thames a couple of years ago. I really got them going with plenty of feed going in and some accurate casting, if I don't say so myself. I noticed though, that if and when I cast too short, probably around 3 feet, the bites would drop and it would be a while before my next fish. Eventually it got to the point where if I did drop short, I wouldn't bother leaving it there and bring it back in to re-cast. I am sure that taking this approach resulted in more fish.

There were two reasons I knew I was casting short. The first being by sight; not hugely accurate but I still knew it was short. The second reason was because I was casting into a hole. When I got the cast right, the feeder would settle for a second and then keep creeping down until it eventually came to rest at the bottom of the hole where the fish were. 3 feet short and I didn't make the hole.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

If you read any articles by the top matchmen, they always tell you to reel in rather than leave the cast in the wrong place even for a short time.

Beecy

Reaction score
If I can hit a 6ft square area at 50 yards I'm happy.

I dont go along with this drop it on a bucket stuff, can you imagine 20 bream all queued up nicely waiting to have a feed over the size of a dinner plate ?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Good point Beecs.

Nice image as well.Perhaps they would be wearing little bibs?

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I think Jonathon makes a good point. Hitting the "feature" is often a teller. A small hole or a clear patch of gravel will be feeding areas, specially for carp, so as long as you are casting to the "feature" then a couple of feet either way should make no real difference as long as you are on the clear spot or in the hole.

Paul C

Reaction score
Likewise, 6ft square when bream fishing at distance is fine for me.

In Ireland when groups of us have fished the same method in a line, lack of accuracy will definitely impact on your catch rate. Those who struggle to consistently hit the right spot (usually through lack of technique or practice) will invariably catch less. If you keep immediately recasting bad casts, you’ll also end spreading feed over a larger area.

If looks to be going off target, I prefer to abort the cast by feathering it to a gradual early stop, well short of the clip, rather than dump a feeder load close, but wide of the area, which could easily result in the shoal moving about, slightly away from where you are trying to hold them.

nicky

Reaction score
6ft square i'm fine with that, it seems to me mind the more i think about it the worst i cast, i can be casting fine then i think about the technique of casting them it goes all to pot,

J

Jonathan Northmore BA HONS

It's important when casting to a particular spot to try and remember what that good cast felt like the first and then subsequent times. You are able to tell much earlier whether a cast is good or not just by the feel of it.

Paul C

Reaction score
Nicky

Is the wind having any bearing or are you just not sending it out consitently?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Nicky,

There was a good thread on accurate casting a month or so back with some very good tips in it.Can anyone post a link?

Yacko

Reaction score
I have the same problem when feeder fishing, the more you worry about casting the worse it gets. And if its a tight swim with over-hanging trees it makes things much worse for me.

The first few casts are the worst and I have started to realise that you almost need to close your eyes and 'feel' the pressure in the rod rather than just clip-up and aim at a marker- which is all the advice most articles seem to give.

Drives me really mad when I dont even hit the line clip!

Beecy

Reaction score
I often wonder if i am as acurate at casting a feeder as i like to think i am, I rate breaming at distance as one of my strongest/favorite methods

Now to hit a 6ft sq area at 50 yards, you have to be casting at an angle of within 1.15 degrees either side ( can someone clever please check my maths on that one/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif)

when you look at it like that, 6ft is pretty good going, especialy with a cross wind, youd have to be bloody good to get much tighter

Beecy

Reaction score
cheers Mith, id had a few beers last night and wasnt sure if id remembered my sin/cos/tan's properly !