Trustworthy Liars?

The Sogster

Reaction score
A good read Eddy. I think you are right about the numbers game - the internet has created many a sceptical keyboard warrior. Best just to enjoy those magical moments as they come although not as frequently as we all hope for.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Nice article Eddy!!

I try very hard to keep myself free of number chasing - however, with one species (bream) I seem to have now caught 4 different 6lb 12oz fish (different stretches, different seasons) to the point where I wonder if I'll ever get beyond that!! It's become my PB bogey team! So I will confess, the last time I caught one that size (which like the three previous ones made me think "that's a new PB!" when it hit the net) I actually said a few choice words when the scales settled at 6lb 12oz again!!

Fortuantely, by the time I was returning the fish, I could see the funny side.

It's not a fish I target particularly, though I do catch a few in a season (cos I fish the thames a lot, which has a fair few in it...) Maybe 6.12. is the average biggest shoal bream?

Anyway, loved the article. I need to remember those words, "its a bloody good fish!"

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Sometime the odd lie the other way is useful

'Ad much mate?
Ner, just a couple a small perch
Said with the right amount of hopelessness in your voice can keep a going swim secret from others

David Dalton

Reaction score
A great article Eddy, and there are a lot of people out there who could benefit from reading it, especially the internet trolls.
Is it just me, but I so often meet other anglers who never catch roach smaller than 2lb....

maceo

Reaction score
Yes, a nice article.

I can honestly say that I've never exagerated the size of anything I've caught. I just don't see the point. There's no satisfaction or contentment down that path.

However, I am guilty of sneaking newly bought bits of "essential" tackle straight from the car to the shed so as to avoid inspection and "how much????!!" interrogations from my dear señora.

She's never got over the concept of letting them go afterwards and as a result enjoys performing little theatrical pieces on such ocassions.

These begin with an impression of a tongue-lolling fool spending large amounts of hard-earned money on fishing tackle and finish up with the same fool enthusiastically waving the fish "bye bye" after being caught.

chav professor

Reaction score
Loved this article Eddie! Especially relate to the chain smoking:eek: The Missus would go spare........ I have to teach kids that are occasional fisherman and love to hear tales of their extraordinary captures. I have a picture of a 'twenty' on my wall of fame in the class room that barely makes double figures.

But then again - I have a picture of a catfish from a local lake that bottomed out the scales and was over 65lb!!!! It is a monster, the photo shows both lads cradling the beast and it looks every ounce its colossal size - the story even made the national press!!!

My favorite part of the story was that it was a team effort, the captor requiring a string of 'rollies' to be made up to calm his quivering nerves during the protracted engagement.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Nice article Eddie.

Personally Ive never exaggerated about any fish in my entire life, I would even swear to that standing on one leg with a pint of Tetleys on my head ;)

Chav, If you ever get to read the 'Group History' there is a note in it 'putting the record straight' which refers to one ex member of fame and repute :rolleyes:

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Interesting subject matter, with a serious undertone.

The Walter Mitty syndrome is definitely not uncommon, compulsive liars and worst of all, pathological liars...................I've come across them all in fishing, at work and even socially.

On the surface it can appear harmless but further down it can be a sympton of something far more serious.

Simon K

Reaction score
Quite agree, Steve, there's plenty about in all walks of life. One, as an employee, tried to ruin my business several years ago.

"Small Man Syndrome" and jealousy largely.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, as I was only saying in another thread not far from this one ... little, truth-lite people with mega egos and with a slim grasp on reality...