Playing carp in shallow water

Nigel Bateman

Reaction score
Hi there - is there a tip on playing and landing carp ? i cant seem to get the carp on the surface to net - i play them ( fish of sayabout 8 to 10 lb) i dont like to bully them so i let them run and play them on the drag - i get them to the netting position but they seem to keep their head down and i cant net them - then they do 'laps' in front of me as i keep the line tight and the rod tip up - which seems to prolong the fight when they keep passing the net position each lap ! any tips ? thanks

F

Frothey

if they are keeping their head down, they arent ready - they will come up and roll on the surface when they are.

steveo

Reaction score
As Frothy says,when they is ready they will come up....One question,are you using tackle adequate for carp?I only ask cos if u are using light rod's u may have to wait longer before your takle will tire the carp and enable you to have control of the carp...Also have you tricking the carp to the net,if you pull hard so will they,try going very gently with them,sometimes its possible to gently lead them to the net.hope this help's

cheers

Nigel Bateman

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies - i will try going more gently - i like to keep the line tight as i am worried about the barbless hooks coming out and perhaps keep too much pull on the line - i use 2 x 1 3/4 lb barbel rods 5000 baitrunners &10 lb lineand they seem to have enough power for the carp up to 14 lb on the lakes where i fish - i was wondering if i am wrong keeping the rod tip high as i see some ofthe pole guys keeping the tip lower and more side strain ?

Robert Reynolds 3

Reaction score
When playing a carp ,keep the rod tip quite high and keep the strain on. Let the carp take some line if you feel it is a large fish, but play it and keep it from heading to underneath overhanging trees and any visible snagging areas. Gradually raise the rod and apply side strain and reel in keeping the line taught. Eventually the fish will begin to tire so reel it in untill you are able to net it safely.

F

Frothey

i actually like to keep the rod low when its close in, at right angles to the fish. feel it puts less pressure on the hookhold that way.

Nigel Bateman

Reaction score
Thanks - i will experement keeping the rod tip lower and at right angles and see if it make a difference -