Can you sea-fish with coarse rod?

FH

Reaction score
My Grandfather used to go sea-fishing, and I have wanted to do it as well. I have a decent carp rod, but I do not have a sea-rod. My Dad says that I should just fish with my coarse equipment. I have seen a good sea-rod in Stapely Angling Center for £30. Should I buy the rod, or just fish with my coarse rods?

alan

Reaction score
yes you can sea fish with a carp rod. but you might be better off with a sea rod if its going to be a regular thing.

a sea rod tends to be thicker and stronger then a carp rod, mainly because of the current and weed. your carp rod will bounce a bit in the waves and will bend a fair bit if any weed catchs the line, but you can use it and it will catch you fish.

use your carp rod for now, 3-4oz weight and a size 2 hook, that will catch you most things. if you enjoy it and plan on going more buy the sea rod.

just make sure the sea rod is a beach caster if your fishing from the beach, 12-15ft in length and capable of casting up to 8oz's. some of the cheaper ones are only 10ft and you will struggle with distance when needed.

FH

Reaction score
Thanks Alan! Next time I go, I'll bring my carp rod.