What Can You Catch With a Whip?

Zander101

Reaction score
The only fishing I do at the moment is with a whip. What am I able to catch with it? My whip is 4 metres long.

FH

Reaction score
Well Zander101, Your whip would be able to bring in a herd of small fish, including perch, rudd, gudgeon, etc...

If you want to get something bigger like a tench(around 2-5lb), try attaching some elastic to your whip.

Anything small, your whip is capable of catching.

W

Wolfman Woody

My mate had a 5lbs pike on his Colmic whip. Played him like crazy and he was chasing it downstream.

I heard that four days later he'd got down to Tower Bridge where he lost it.

FH

Reaction score
Wow! He must have been strong! I didnt even know that pike could be caught that big on whips!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
FH,

I have caught and landed: Bream, Tench and Vederbuk (Ide) all upto 4 pounds, on a 4m whip with no problem in the past.

The shorter whips were designed to catch (relatively swiftly) small(ish) fish like, Bleak, Roach, Dace, Gudgeon, Rudd etc from close-in by swinging the fish 'to hand' rather the ever trying to elasticate it.

The design and manufacture of a true whip does not support elastication and you would nost likely damage one by doing so.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Realistically, fish to about eight ounces - roach, rudd,perch, skimmers (small bream), gudgeon, bleak, dace. Best suited to still water or very slow running where the fish will come in that close. Like Peter I've had much bigger fish but it can be a little frantic and not recommended - carp to 5lb, bream and tench to 4lb, barbel 3lb.

FH

Reaction score
I fish near a group of lilly-pads, there are many fish under there!

W

Wolfman Woody

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" width="425" height="350"><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ahhOJWkgo1g&mode=related&search=" /><param name="width" value="425" /><param name="height" value="350" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ahhOJWkgo1g&mode=related&search=" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
With a bit of luck one of these!

Waveney One

Reaction score
Put a number 6 elastic in and you can land quite reasobale fish on a 4 metre whip. I coach kids and the first lesson is always on a whip as it teaches them how to bait up, feed by hand, cast underarm, strike play and l fish and most importantly how to handle them on the bank. Most of the fish caught are roach and rudd up to 12 oz or so but fairly frequently we hook tench and carp from 1lb to 5lb in the training pool. The majority of those are landed as there are no real snags for the fish to get their heads into and the fish can run. If one does get lost then that youngster is normally a confirmed fisherman for life!