The PAC30 Birthday Bash

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

Jason Davies' enormous catch of huge pike is most interesting. Even with the re-captures it is most impressive. But what gets me are the enormous girth of the fish. A 42" pike, and I've caught a few in my life, normally weighs only about 23 to 24lbs! I once caught a 42" inch pike that weighed only 19 1/2 lbs, it had a huge head and a body like an eel.

Does anyone know how these fish were caught?

Lures, Livebaits or deads?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
If I recall they weren't small ones either, some as big as 1.5lb in weight.

The slides were incredible, the girth of them in particular. They looked like some sort of pike/catfish hybrid the way their bellies hung down. Like 42" long rugby balls.

Edit: Nice write up ****y, that's not me in the Dave Kelbrick photo though, just thought I'd make that clear!

Must also add that everyone we spoke to Chris (Bishop), Dave (Marrs), the other Dave (Kelbrick), Gary (Knowles), Jason, Nev Fickling, Mick Brown etc... were allvery friendly and top down to earth blokes who just enjoy fishing.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Here's one.............
jasond.jpg

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

Thanks Wol,

Yes an enormous body and a small head.

I don't want to take anything away from Jason or the fish he caught as I would have been chuffed to have caught them. But in the name of good debating I will give you this.

In the USA and some parts of Europe, these fish would not be given all that much of an accolade. The reason is that pike in these parts of the world are generally rated on length. A few years ago I met a group of Belgian anglers in Ireland they had had a good weeks piking and had caught fish up to 1020 mm if I remember right.

"Did you weigh them?" I asked.

"No", said one of them, "We only rate fish on size, not whether thay have full bellies or are solid with spawn!"

Now this made me think. And I must say that these anglers released all the fish they caught very carefully indeed; they loved their pike fishing and were true conservationists.

But what do you think?

Weight or length?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

As all my PBs are based onweight and always have been then its weight. BRFC is based on weight. Matches are based on weight. Bowlocks to the yanks is what i say.

It one hell of a Pike whatever perspective you wanna look at it from, well done Jas.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Really enjoyed reading this and the threads that have followed so far.It sounds like these species get togethers,wether pike,barbel etc... are good fun days and also very informative to the more experienced angler orbeginner like myself....i will have to make the effort to come alongnext year and see what it`s all about.

Reaction score
I have never seen a more awe-inspiring collection of pike shotsthan those Jason showed at PAC30. In fact the whole audience was gob-smacked, you could have heard a pin drop when 'Kev' popped on the screen.

If you would like a better look at these remarkable images check out Pike & Predator this month or buy the book at http://www.megapike-thereturn.net/

As for the length/ weight thing, I'm with Wol.

C

Chris Bishop

Our whole culture as anglers is based around what fish weigh, I can't see that ever changing.