ACA Membership on the Up

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

As a life member of the ACA, I would like to see everyone who posts on this site with ACA after their names. Come on those of you who are not members.

If every angler in this country were to give a measily few quid a year to the ACA, we would have no need whatsoever to worry about the future of our obsession.

F

Fred Bonney

About time you replaced your letters, Ron we can't see ACA.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

There they are.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Have been a member for the last twenty odd years but I don't feel the need to put any of the letters to which I am entitled after my name just not my thing...

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
I think using the letters after your name is a good idea. Keeps the ACA name prominent. I joined earlier this year, after realising that I couldn't always guarantee to be able to enjoy this sport without putting something back.

After looking at their website and reading the annual report that came with my membership, it's clear that they do an outstanding job on our behalf. What's a few quid a year to safeguard the future of our angling? It's just pennies, when you think of what we all spend on bait and the latest "must have" bit of kit.

If you don't want to join as an individual member, then at least lobby your club to make sure that they have membership. The ACA secured compensation formy club when the Leeds & Liverpool canal near my home was polluted onthree occasions by a local detergent manufacturer, resulting in significant fish kills.

It's insurance for the future of angling.

F

Fred Bonney

No they're not Ron.

Alan,not your qualifications mate,just to show other posters, that there are a good number of us members of the ACA, and perhaps make them think a bit more, about membership

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
There was a good letter in The Times today from Mark Lloyd; it outlined the EA allowing the worst polluters of all, the water companies, being allowed to police themselves!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I think they are now Fred.

Good for you Janet - well said.

J

john conway CSG

I've been on the Prince Albert and Warrington websites but I can't find if they are members of the ACA? does anyone know if they and also if RADAC are members? I couldn't find a list of members on the ACA website.

J K

Reaction score
Like Janet I too joined earlier this year after reading about them on here and visiting their website. The annual fee is a small price to pay andthey have just won compensation for my club.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Using ACA after your name other than on the site may infer you have qualifications that you have not. Not anti ACA, just pointing out a fact. Put ACA in google!

G

Graham Marsden (Anglers' Conservation Association

OK, next excuse.

Bring it on!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

But seriously, I don't agree with ramming it down people's throats that they should be a member of the ACA, but to advertise the fact on a fishing website that you are a member, may just encourage someone else to see the sense in joining.

J

john conway CSG

ACA stands for many organisations as well as qualifications, therefore it would be read in context of where you used your name and on FM I can't see anyone missunderstanding it for (Association of Consutant Architects)or (Association for Continence Advice)etc

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
Just to confirm that RADAC is a Club member (its on the fornt page of our web site).

When I suggested the letters after the name thing it was because there are a lot of opinion formers on this site (such as Graham) and their obvious membership of the ACA would serve to promote membership amongst the many anglers who visit FM.

J

john conway CSG

Cheers Matthew, I'll join the ACA on line tonight, if I can kick our lass off the computer, she's into scrabble tournaments with the yanks.BTW CSG after my name is member of the Chub Study Group and not “Cleansing Service Group or the Charities Safety Group etc”./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

"Using ACA after your name other than on the site may infer you have qualifications that you have not."

Not if it's entirely enclosed in brackets, it then means nothing in the academic or military world.

If you just put "WOODY C.B.E." then one might assume that I had a Companion of the British Empire, but if I put Woody (CBE) one would assume, quite correctly, that it stands for (Can't Be Everywhere). /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
I have TD after my name (Territorial Decoration) ...I am extremely gald they changed the name from the Victorian Decoration ! /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Using ACA after your name other than on the site may infer you have qualifications that you have not.

Please, please, pease, read what I said. It was purely an observation that using ACA and not (ACA) as Woody states, and OTHER THAN on the site, MAY, JUST MAY infer you have qualifications that you have not. I didn't mean to limit it to just FM, I'm sure it would be fine on other fishing sites.

Graham said

OK, next excuse.

Bring it on!

It wasn't meant to be an excuse Graham just a friendlyword to the wise in a world gone PC and litigation mad.

In future I might be advised just to keep my mouth shut.

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Richard, you were quite right to bring the point up. I use the (ACA) after my name on this site to show that I'm a member, and hopefully encourage otherusers to sign up too. However, I can see how it would be slightly misleading if used out of context. On an angling forum though, I really can't see how it could be misconstrued.