Fish !

Philip

Reaction score
Slightly wierd I know but I came across this picture on the web today .. its a Rohu..and it struck me that you would be hard pressed to find a better example of a "fish". By that I mean, imagine you met someone who had no idea what a fish was and you had to describe one then I recon a Rohu is close as you can get to a perfect standard "fish".

...No strange barbles, no wierd fins, no bizzare bits hanging off it... its just fish shaped, fish coloured, and looks like, well, a fish !

Ok, enough of my babbling ...what do you think - is there a better example of a "fish" out there ?

species_rohu_2.jpg

Last edited:

maceo

Reaction score
For a beautiful fish, I don't think you can beat the humble roach.

Especially when they're in prime wild condition.

I haven't caught a rudd yet, so can't compare, but I've never caught an ugly redfin.

murv

Reaction score
I think that "prettiest fish" is a lot more subjective, and maybe a good topic for another thread? but, the Rudd would have to be a top contender for that I think!

As far as bog standard, common or garden fish go, I think you may have nailed it with that Rohu! never seen such a fish shaped fish before! (if that makes any sense)

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
A richly coloured Rudd in pristine condition would be my choice for a classic fish.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For a beautiful fish, I don't think you can beat the humble roach.

Especially when they're in prime wild condition.

I haven't caught a rudd yet, so can't compare, but I've never caught an ugly redfin.

Your first Rudd will hold you in awe, similar to a roach in shape but with a lovely golden sheen on its deep flanks...Better looking than any carp!!!

Mark

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

I think that "prettiest fish" is a lot more subjective, and maybe a good topic for another thread? but, the Rudd would have to be a top contender for that I think!

As far as bog standard, common of garden fish go, I think you may have nailed it with that Rohu! never seen such a fish shaped fish before! (if that makes any sense)

Never seen a Rohu in a garden pond before, seen some nice KOI though!!!!!

Sorry mate, couldn't resist that one!

Mark

dangermouse

Reaction score
I must admit the OP`s fish does look very fishy.

For most beautiful fish either a tench or as already mentioned the rudd.

Philip

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments so far.

Yes my original point was not really about beauty more about it looking like a « fish ».
In the UK I always considered Chub as the most fishy looking fish...

For beauty, yes a nice Golden Rudd with blood red fins is a delight. Wont be everyones choice but I always thought Grayling, had a sort of « Aston Martin DB9 » appeal to them...something that just sets them slightly apart from the crowd...

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments so far.

Yes my original point was not really about beauty more about it looking like a « fish ».
In the UK I always considered Chub as the most fishy looking fish...

For beauty, yes a nice Golden Rudd with blood red fins is a delight. Wont be everyones choice but I always thought Grayling, had a sort of « Aston Martin DB9 » appeal to them...something that just sets them slightly apart from the crowd...

Great way to describe the good old grayling, a gorgeous fish!

Mark