Help with rod selection

DeBloke

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm quite a novice to flyfishing but I recently decided to get some own tackle (my friends are sick of me borrowing their tackle /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif) When I went to the local tackle store the guy showed me a Guidline AWM 9ft 3ins #7 and a Greys GRXi 9ft 6ins #6/7. I've cast both and really liked both...

The AWM would come with a Guidline Reelmaster and appropriate line for not much more than the GRXi alone. However a friend gave me his used GRXi #5/6 reel (with an #7 line o_O), so the only thing 'd really need to go and fish would be a decent rod.

I want to buy something I can really use for some years so I want appropiate quality. Has anyone of you had a bad experience with an AWM or an GRXi or can give me any other advice?

Cheers

S

Shrek

Agree with Colin, I'd go for the Greys rod too. I know GuideLine make some lovely rods, but my guess is that for the price they are offering this one it would make a very low entry budget rod and you'd soon grow out of it. The GRXi though would last you a lot longer, as well as being backed by Greys lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never handled the Guideline, but I own a couple of Greys rods and they are truly excellent rods. The reels, with the quick change spools are a godsend, and a matched rod/reel from Greys will last you a long time. Not to mention their lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps.

DeBloke

Reaction score
Thanks all for your advice. I bought the GRXi and I'm quite happy with it /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

If someone of you wants to buy a Guidleline rod consider that they only give 2 years of limited warranty services.

After all the GRXi has taken the lives of 4 rainbow trout (2-4lb) on its first day of action /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Thanks all