rescued swan.JPG

webo

Reaction score
Hi peeps just thought i would report my experience on the Trent this morning.The guy holding the swan is my mate Joe as you can see it has a two ounce lead hanging from its chops which was held in by a size 6 hook with a braided hooklength.The swan was one of a pair and it was on borrowed time as it could not open its mouth wide enough to eat much,it took Joe half an hour and a kilo of my g/bait before we got her close enough to grab hold of anyhow once the hook was out she had the rest of it,and my sarnies,and a sausage, just shows anglers can be the good guys as well(RSPB take note).

T

The Monk

well done Joe, I`d send a copy of that to the press just to show these turkeys what caring conservationists angler are, although sop0meone will argue it was an anglers fault the swan picked the line up in the first place, but at least we do try to get our house in order, we cant all be help responsible for the odd scroat angler

njb51

Reaction score
I bet if you sent that to the press..........some people would try and argue that it was your lead and line and that you were trying to choke it to death to get your lead back!!

Good work though! /forum/smilies/angel_smiley.gif

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Well done Webo.It takes a bit of bottle to get to grips with an angry swan.

I presume the swan took the bait and then snapped off the angler.If it was discarded tackle woth a bait attached picked up from the bank then the person reseponsible needs to assess how they dispose of their rigs.

W

Wolfman Woody

Top man!

You're holding her the right way too. Did you get in contact with any helpline after or just remove the hook yourselves? She might have benefited from a shot of anti-biotic just to be on safe side, but in the beak isn't too bad as it happens.

Should try tickling them under the beak, they like that.

T

The Monk

Should try tickling them under the beak, they like that.

do you do that often then Jeff

webo

Reaction score
woody, no her mate was getting realy wound up and she ate my snap ok so we just let her go, she hung around for a good hour preening and waterproofing her feathers as i dont think she could do them with the hook in her beak.

nigel there was no bait on the hook but there was a foot or so of line so it was either a crack off or the swan grabbed it and broke the angler like you said,once you get hold of them and pin the wings down by there sides theyare realy calm and they dont even try and bite you.

T

The Monk

they dont hurt when they bit anyway, very gentile creatures really, a lot of old wives tales spoken about swans, they certainly cant harm you I`ve picked quite a few up, but as you say you need to pin the wings down so they don`t get hurt, well done again

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Jeff isreknowned for his swan-upping, but we don't know if he is a Vintner or a Dyer........

davie

Reaction score
well done guys, you have every right to feel pleased with yourselves,

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Well done Webo good work.

Old wives tale Monk................................ I got a right battering from an angry swan once. I had to leave my tackle in my peg and let it devour my bait after it gave me the old one two with the wings.

The RSPB were called out to it a week later after it had battered everybody off the lake. Apparently it had a dodgy beak which meant that it took the easy meals off us anglers instead of rooting for its own grub.

It was returned a week later where it lead a normal life again.

Nick D

Reaction score
Nice one webo and friend, glad the swan went away ok.

E

Eric Hayes

Well done webo. Like the Monkmyster says get in touch with your local paper and let them have the story. just so people know we ain't all Otter killing murderers.

My Brother untangleda Swanabout 7 years ago using the same technique, lulled it into a false sense of security with handfuls of ground bait then jump it. At the time I was taking the p!$$ big time, telling him howthe swanwas going to do him when he mad the move. I was eating my words after though. It was amazing to see how calm it was once he'd got astride it.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I'm not sure "angler rescues swan from slow death from an another anglers hook" will really do us that many favours I'm afraid irrespective of Webo and his mates heroics.

It was amazing to see how calm it was once he'd got astride it.

Eric, does your brother have that effect on all the birds he straddles?

MarT

Reaction score
Nice one webo... /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

and you look nothing like Rod Hull!

More like Bernie Clifton /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

B

Bully

Ditto - nice one.

And just to add, my experience of nearly every angler I have fished with is that they are just as "smitten" with the various birds that surround the habitats of angling than they are the fish!! Which is why I get pretty hacked off with the ritual slagging we get on TV / papers from the RSPB when a bird is found in similar condition......and I saw again on a local TV news station.

I have joined the RSPB

E

Eric Hayes

Nige I know what you mean, but we are always portrayed in a bad light where wildlife is concerned,maybe a story about a angler doing some good regardless of circumstances may help our image.

My brother thinks he has that affect on the birds but the reality is very different./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Well done Webo and Joe, takes some courage to grab a swan, specially when it is injured, they can get pretty nasty.

Good to hear that the swan was rescued from starvation/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif hopefully it lives a long and happy live and keeps away from hook bait/forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

T

The Monk

I think its a good idea to straddles big birds in distress, they usually thank you for it afterwards