Good News from Yorkshire Water

dezza

Reaction score
Improvements costing £78million in wastewater treatment processes at its Blackburn Meadows sewage treatment works are to be completed by September 2014.

This will ensure a much higher quality of effluent returned to the River Don which according to Yorkshire Water - "will allow fish populations in the river to thrive."

There has in the past been occasions where over-spills of untreated sewage has contaminated the Don. Lets' hope this work will prevent these problems in the future.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good news Ron,
Nice to know that at last the water companies are taking responsibilities for their actions, lets hope that others take note.
I remember when I was a kid, there was a sewage works just across the fields from my house and where the river rother ran not far from its source. This treatment works was only small and very crude, the waste water was just sent through a couple of filter beds then straight into the a river that was about 4 feet wide and a foot deep at most! Glad things have changed for the better over the last few decades.

I could list all the all the treatment works and factories etc. that pumped effluent in to the rother over the years but that would take me all afternoon to do and that's just the northeast Derbyshire/Chesterfield area!!

Mark