Newbie on the River Ribble

ash_83

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm getting myself set up too start fishing along the River Ribble, and was hoping to get some tips too which the best section of the river to fish in the Preston area! I'm looking to fish for Barbel & Chub & also what kind of tackle do I need to be set up on? i.e line, hooks, bait, etc...?? any Advice would be greatly appreciated & in a few months I may be able to offer my own! Cheers Ash.

ash_83

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I'm sure I'll get to know the area well over time! might be just pulling out a few small fish for now then!

could anyone also recommend any good fishing books?

dangermouse

Reaction score
Hi Ash, welcome to FM.

You do know it`s the close season on the rivers until 16th June?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As has already been said the river is closed for coarse fishing until the 16th June. Unless your a member of a club most of the ribble is tied up. If you don't want to join a club then there are day ticket stretches. Don't make the mistake of just going and fishing without finding out who owns the fishing rites otherwise you may finnish up with an angry bailiff turfing you off. Try enquiring at Ted Carters, they'll point you in the right direction and sort you a ticket out.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
For a book I would reccomend Practical barbel fishing by Graham Marsden,its the newest one out so should be bang upto date .Should help .The ribble only hold tiddlers though ....
Good luck.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For a book I would reccomend Practical barbel fishing by Graham Marsden,its the newest one out so should be bang upto date .Should help .The ribble only hold tiddlers though ....
Good luck.

Welcome Ash,
the book mentioned is superb, I got my copy from Amazon but a good site is gifts 4 carp, they have every angling book you can think of!
I fish the ribble and it holds some really big fish, I have had some superb sport on the shallow ''tickled trout'' stretch and I am also a member of the southport angling club who have the church deeps stretch (google their web site) and loads of other waters.
I will PM you with some info.

PS: you might get some ribbing from the lads on here but they are all good uns really and will help you no end...Watch out for Lord Paul though, bit of a ******!!!

Mark

ash_83

Reaction score
Cheers for the advice and tips everone, I had no idea about the river being closed until the 16th, could have had a bit of an unexpected runing with a baliff.... But will be looking to join a local club, making sure I go through the right channels! Oh & i'll be getting 'Practical barbel fishing by Graham Marsden' sounds good. Looking forward to gtting started cant wait!

andy247

Reaction score
Cheers for the advice and tips everone, I had no idea about the river being closed until the 16th, could have had a bit of an unexpected runing with a baliff.... But will be looking to join a local club, making sure I go through the right channels! Oh & i'll be getting 'Practical barbel fishing by Graham Marsden' sounds good. Looking forward to gtting started cant wait!

Hello Ash and welcome bud, I am a water bailiff for my local angling club and occasionally I find there are people new to fishing rivers that don’t realise there is a closed season from March to June.

Anyway bud, I grew up fishing rivers and I would like to advise you on the following and hopefully this will help you have a great season for 2012.

Firstly try to join a local angling club that provide training days for people wanting to learn the best fishing techniques, selecting and buying the right tackle to use, setting up your tackle and most importantly proper fish handling.

My second tip to you would be to walk up and down the river you want to fish with a good pair of Polaroid’s and watch. After time you will learn where the fish are by there actions above and beneath the water. If you see something happening, don’t be afraid to ask a more experienced fellow angler. That’s the way you’ll learn what type of fish are in the area and after time you’ll know yourself. All species of river fish are predictable mate

If you can locate them Ash, you’ll catch them using the right methods.. Good luck matey!