Does Your Tackle Shop Have a Till?

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I popped into a tackle shop this lunchtime which is reasonably well known and spent £5.00 on some stuff or this weekend.I have no gripes with the shop as the have a good range and the advice is usually sound.What irks me is that they do not have a till.Everything is added up by calculator.NowI am not for one minute suggesting that they fleece people butI always come out of there feeling that i would like to check what i have bought against a receipt.Nobody is infallible when it comes to adding up even with a calculator.

This shop stocks poles well into the thousands and its time they bit the bullet and got some proper means of allowing their customers tocheck what theyhave been charged.

Rant over!!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I'll tell Mark tomorrow! /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Nigel,

I think you will find that by law this shop should have a till. Next time you go in the shop ask for a receipt, then just to rub it in tell them you wantan itemized receipt and say the things are for a friend. If they say anything just say well get a till, they will soon get fed up with all the writing.

I am sure the old tax man would love to visit this shop

Adam Smallman

Reaction score
My local tackle shop does not have a till neither. Or at least I have not seen one. He uses a calculator too.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
A few years ago i called for a pint on my way home from work, as you do, the landlord put my pint on the bar took my money ,put it straight into his pocket and rummaged arround for my few pence change and dropped it on the bar.

Needless to say it was my first and last visit to that establishment.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Wol, its not Mark before you get me barred!LOL

W

i said, 5 quid? /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

It was £35.00 honest.Not sure where the £5.00 came from.

GivenI came out with some isotopes, a live bait pump and other odds and sods,I would not have beenmoaning about them having no till if they'd have charged me a fiver!

W

live bait pump? best you email me about that /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

A calculator; your shop is posh. Brown paper bags are used inmost tackle shops for adding up items.

Ther last time I went into my local shop they had a wooden till with a bell that went 'ping' when opened.

I think it used to have a paper roll where takings were written down on but that has not been used for at least 25 years

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nigel,

Neither of the two tackle shops that I use have a till either, both preferrring to use a calculator.

I'm not sure that there is a legal requirement for a shop to have one either?

Ray, can you provide the reference for that?

C

Cakey

my two shops that I use have tills .............................but Ive never ever had a receipt

if I buy something big like a reel or a rod I ask for a receipt and they write one out and I think what is going on here..............................

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Peter,

As i understand a shop has to have a till to show its takings should the tax man come calling, VAT and all.

By writing it down, or not, as i am sure some do, the taxman has no proof of takings, and yes the till can be tampered with. I am told this by a shop owner.

I go to the same shops as cakey, if you want a till receipt you can have one, it shows the price but not what the item is, you can have a written receipt, something you should all have for insurance purposes, should some bastered nick your gear.

You dont go into a shop and spend say £1000:00 on a table and not get a receipt, or when you buy a car, there you go mate 10 grand car, receipt hahaha No thanks.