What Summer?

C

Cakey

superb read cheers Jeff ,just one thing "Jeff caught his first fish at the age of five, a mackerel from a Torquay fishing boat. "..................aint that cheating ?

B

Bill Cox

ahh those happy days of my youth mackerel fishing with my old man, when i was 11 or 12 i would get up at the crack of dawn when the tides were right and catch the bus with my rod and reel all set up. Up on Plymouth hoe on the rocks fishing the tide in watching all the trawlers going out. Not many trawlers left to watch now.

W

Wolfman Woody

Hand-lining, Cakey. Perhaps.

Just one sad update folks. I was informed by Sue last week that Alan, who I mention in the article, has had his cancer return and he has been given just 3 to 6 months. They don't believe that chemotherapy will do any good and he is now too weak to withstand it.

I can't help feeling, knowing the fuller story from Sue, that 3-6 months is being optimistic and that time is now ever so short for him. We've known each other since about 1966 when we first started fishing together and went on the Thursday Night Pub Crawl around Ashton always finishing up with fish and chips and curry sauce at a friend's chippie. The other member of the drinking team was Dave Wright, who sadly passed away earlier this year again from cancer, but also following a horrendous car crash in Cumbria.

I'm sure that news didn't do Alan any good, he'd tried to stay in touch with Dave throughout, whereas I am rather distant from it all now. The great pity is that I really did want to take Alan fishing down here and either get him a nice carp or a superb barbel from the Thames, something we could only have dreamed of when we fished together all those years ago.

Alas, it won't be now and all I can do is wish him peace on his final leg of the journey of life.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Sorry hear the bad newsWoody.

Nice read and good picture of the weir.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Woody great read!

I sometimes wish i'd have started fishing when i was a child..... Anway what's happened to them beautiful connifers???

Reaction score
A nice article Woody, but very sorry to hear about your friend.

I can't remember a 'summer' like it. I work outdoors most of the time and relentless is the word I would use for the weather this year.

This is the view out of my bathroom window, in a first floor flat. Now that's a first for me!
TheViewFromMyBathroom2.jpg

W

Wolfman Woody

"Anway what's happened to them beautiful connifers???"

Yes, sorry Wendy, but you too will have to draw the curtains when you stay with us next time. Fortunately, the CCTV cameras are inside - MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff,

Another nice contribution, and I too am sorry about your friend.

In the article you said that you started fishing 5 minutes still into the closed season, but you didn't catch anything in the session, right?

Serves you right for breaking the rules then - see, if you had your way and abolished the closed season then you'd probably never catch again!

[insert daft smiling face to prove I'm joking]

W

Wolfman Woody

"In the article you said that you started fishing 5 minutes still into the closed season,"

Tsk,Tsk, Peter. READ AGAIN PLEASE - "two of us stayed on late to wet a line and <u>it was the other, not me,</u> who said at five minutes to midnight"

I didn't cast until midnight, dead on. Honest Injun!

The "other" does uphold, like you, the close season whilst it's in place. He's a dyed in wool "traditionalist" who's never even used a boily, bolt rig, or a bivvy and he wants it as his epitaph.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"The "other" does uphold, like you, the close season . . . "

Good for him.

I'll believe you Jeff, this time, regardless of what that nasty Mr. Clay said [insert yet another daft smiling face]

As for an epitaph . . . I'll settle for:

Under this Sod lies another.

W

Wolfman Woody

A final posting.

I have just spoken to Sue (see above posts) and sadly Alan, my mate since 1967, died at 8:50 tonight. His final journey ended peacefully and with dignity and with his family around him.

I am pleased with one other thing, his son with whom he had a violent disagreement, was with him at the end, all forgiven. His brother, Alfred who I have know just as long, was there too. Another chapter is brought to a close and we never did catch him that barbel.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Sorry about that Jeff.My commiserations on the loss of your friend.