bait

Richard moore 2

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gifHi guys and girls. What is the best food for fishing at the bottom

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Richard, what fish are you after catching? Are you fishing still water or rivers?

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
Depends what fish you are after, is it carp, bream tench? Plus what is the bottom like? gravel? weed? chody?

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
You'll not go far wrong with a good make of bollie, either with pellets in a pva bag altogether, or you could use the method feeder with corn, bollie or pellet as a hook bait.
Or you could take your time and spend 10 mins with a marker rod and lead and see what clear spots if any there are.
There are a few options to beat the weed.
Personally i would use a good bollie on 1 rod and a method on the other, then see what gets you the best results, i did this last week on a new lake im fishing, the method produced 1 common and 5 bream, the bollie rod produced 2 carp, a mirror and a common, all mid doubles.
The week before i marked up, spodded up to the marker, put 2 rods on it all morning and never had a thing on it. In the afternoon i fished with pva bag chucked to where i thought would produce and had a run with in 5 mins /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif So its all about experimenting.

Keith M

Reaction score
It depends on many different factors. ie. the fish you are after, the time of year, the water temperature etc.

I suppose the bait that most anglers in general use is the humble maggot in its larval form (Maggot)or in its crysillis form (Caster) which cansometimes catch slightly larger fish. Even maggots can be broken into different types & sizes; Pinkies, Squatts etc.

Good quality Boilies or Pellets aregood for Carp, Barbel, Tenchetc.

However; bait choice is such a large subject and there are such a vast array of baits to choose from that it may be hard to give a diffinitive answer.

Richard moore 2

Reaction score
I tend to use a bollie so how mach grandbait should i use and loos bollies should i throw in.

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
It all depends matey, do you want to fill the swim in and fish over it? or do you want to fish for 1 fish at a time. Ive just made a mix for tomorrow (probably be wednesday now cos of the rain forcast) and i made about 2 kg of method mix, all different pellets, fishmeal, green ground bait, corn and plenty of different oils and 1 tin of tuna, all mixed in. The beauty of doing it like that is i then have a choice, either put it it round a method, or pva it in small bags. I dont add any water you see. Then ill just see how the day goes to how much i put in.
You could put in a kg of bollie over your hook bait but if it dont produce and you then want to fish another area then that kg of bollie is wasted and it starts getting expensive then. Remember you can put bait in, but you cant take it out again.

Keith M

Reaction score
Is the water you are fishing a river or lake?

How big is the water you are fishing?

What size of carp does it contain?

Does it have many anglers fishing it?

What rod, reel and line strength are you using?.

These are all relevant questions thatmay need answering before we can give you real advice onwhich baits and amounts of loose feed to use.

For example you would use far less loose feed when fishing a 2 to 3 acre estate lake where you can easily cast to anywhere on the lake than if you were fishing a large reservoir.

The number of anglers that fish the lake for carp could make a lot of difference to the methods and baits that you use.

And the rod, reel and line strengths that you are going to use may have a bearing to what methods are advised.

If you are unsure about loose feeding then I would start with about 10 to 15 loosefed boilies per rod and I wouldusually work on the premise that your hookbait will probably be the last taken so I would only feed again when youve had a run or re-cast.

However this advice may be different if you were fishing a large reservoir, or if therewere crayfish constantly nibbling at your baits, or there weregroups of really large Carproaming and you wanted to intercept them etc. etc. etc.

Richard moore 2

Reaction score
I am fishing on lake at bax farm most of the time and there are a lot of people fishing on the lakes

Richard moore 2

Reaction score
Thank you for writing back. I am fishing on a lake at bax farm which is near me they are small lakes with a lot of people fishing.I was there last Sunday and i saw some man catch a carp around 15lb on bottom feed.

The rod is 7ft which was given to me by my grand dad and so was the reel which we changed the line for a 15lb. all other bits i go to my local fish shop and get as much advice as i can. as a complete novice any help will be great full.And i can put it on my xmas list.

Thanks again Richard

Keith M

Reaction score
Richard, I have never fished Bax Farm Fishery myselfbut I have found this web site which has a lot of information about Bax Farm Fishery,Sittingbourne;with tips on how to fish it.

Bax Farm Fishery, Sittingbourne

I wouldtry fishing withHalibut pellets and there is an article on the left side of the web sites screen in 'Hints and Tips'giving details of how to hook them with a band etc.

But there is also a forum there and lots of other things about the fishery.

You should be able to get lots of information about methods and baits that workat Bax Farmfor Carp

Also do a search on FishingMagics forum; just enter Bax Farm and you will find lots of forum posts which mention Bax Farm.

Hope this what you wanted, good luck andTight Lines.

Keith

C

Cakey

beings you know the lake you are fishing ...............................SIT AND WATCH !

look and see whos catching and where then watch them bait up and cast out

you cant beat local knowledge

Richard moore 2

Reaction score
Thanks for the wed site and i will have a look at it,and see what info i can get out of it.

Thanks again Richard

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

and one more thing try to make some friends of the people that fish it , go and talk to these guys if they are worth anything they wont bite your head off. Explain that you are new to fishing most people will give you some help with a chat. Dont go blundering in though be nice and quiet on your approach with a friendly smile and just say hi. Good luck my friend

Richard moore 2

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifWhat is the biggest fish you have caught and what was the bait, because it can help me see what bait i can use for carp./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif