Carp in Autumn

Andy M

Reaction score
What temperature does the water have to fall to after which carp fishing becomes a pursuit of masochists only? (stillwaters)

steveo

Reaction score
Dont know Andy,all depends on your will to sit out in the cold.I have fished spring fed carp waters in the winter that had a stable temp of 8-11 degrees centigrade.The Carp fed ok in this all winter,I would hazard a guess at anything less than 5-6 degrees C us gonna be hard going tho.

Andy M

Reaction score
Thanks Steveo. So, the idea that carp fishing is strictly a summer pursuit is a bit of a myth then? Needless to say I am very new to this.

F

Frothey

some waters can switch off totally, but most will still produce - especially the overstocked ones. winter carp need stability, ie cold is fine so long as its constant, they dont like it when it fluctuates a lot, though a nice big warm, wet southwesterly in the middle of a cold spell can be ideal.......

steveo

Reaction score
UR welcome Andy...Yes carp fishing now is a year rounbd pursuit.As Frothy says the overstocked waters that recieve a steady supply of bait should give you a few runs.I would tend to stay away from the deep/large understocked waters and would go for the shallower ones and as I said spring fed lakes can be very good due to their more stable and warmer water.Also have a look at anywhere shallow or areas of dense reeds that recieve the most sunlight.These will get the the most sun and carp can be found amongst the reeds which absorb the warmth.oh yeh brew up plenty of sweet tea,you'll feel a bit warmer yourself then...cheers

C

Cakey

3.9 is the cut off .................................and I STAY HOME !

steveo

Reaction score
Cakey that's cold you should have gone barble fishing,ive had the odd barble between 38.5-40 degrees farenheight.The poor things almost feel frozen,felt bad fishing for them.

C

Cakey

I dont know where I got that figure from but carp stop feeding at 3.9 and under......

C

Cakey

more figures in me head....................................temp under ice is always 4 so carp still feed

C

Cakey

where have I got all this sh*t from .........................................but its true, try it !

F

Frothey

temp under ice is always 4 so carp still feed

just not on top of it...