Old man Trent

Andy M

Reaction score
40+ years ago I used to regularly fish a swim just upstream of where the Erewash joins the Trent - not far from Long Eaton. Usually caught a small bag of small roach - gear was OK for the time but knowledge very limited so there may have been more to be caught. But, if a decent angler went there today what might he expect to catch?

Maverick

Reaction score
Andy, I know the spot you mean, the Erewash runs into the Trent around Attenborough gravel pits. I'm from Long Eaton myself, though my Trent fishing these days is concentrated a bit further upstream towards Shardlow and beyond.

In that area what you catch reallydepends on what you set your stall out for. If trotting is your thing with maggots/castersthen a mixed bag should be on the cards. The Trent isfull of big fish these days, with the Long Eatonarea holding a good head of carp and barbel if youtarget them instead, though location can be key. There is also a good head of pike, perch and even zander for predator hunters.

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
yep used to fish it myself too,Taylors water wasnt it?near the little houses on the river,used to fish it myself too coming from Chilwell,also that erewash bit is alive with roach where it comes out of the Gravels,the corner peg was a haven for some decent chub too on the stick,went back there a few weeks ago to discover a few trees have fallen over and accross the river,Still do a bit of piking in the outflow in to the main river but that end of the Trent still goes undiscovered by me,favour Beeston nowadays

Regards Matt

Andy M

Reaction score
Thanks lads - Absolutely amazing! Its so good to hear how much our waters have improved over the years. When I was fishing there I doubt there was more than a clump of blue-green algae in the Erewash!