when is fishing not fishing

Specihunter

Reaction score
theres are few of who fish at work and the chat on monday is how we got on as i fish bigger harder waters i have a good weekend if i catch 1 or 2 fish , yet a mate fishes a little farm pond which a few have said its to easy .so would you class it as fishing or what

E

EC

The beauty is in the eye of the beholder Speci!

I started fishing on ponds, and although they were not always easy, we did have our red letter days though, the day I caught6 x 1oz perch,3 roach and agudgeon as an 11 year old being one!

Nowadays, like you, I prefer harder waters, but some of my bezzies prefer carppuddles and commercials, butthey are every bit an angler as you or I.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I fish waters where you can go one or more seasons without a fish, well not the sort you are after, and i also fish waters where you can catch a ridiculous weight of fish in 5 hours,,,,,I find both boring some times. But when you have a good day for whatever reason, it's still the best waste of time i've ever found.

E

Eric Hayes

It stops being fishing whenone assumed angler is fishing 7 rods & drinking ale and other assumed anglers on the same length arelistening todrum n bass at volume. As was witnessed on the Ribble just recently.

Specihunter

Reaction score
its just some of the comments i get yet when we do strike gold we really strike gold

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Speci, of course its fishing, what else would it be?

From casting a a boilie 120yds to a distant island for 40lb carp, to using a 2m whip for a bleak, we are all brothers of the angle and the sooner we realise that the better it will be for the future of the sport.

C

Cakey

my fishing time is limited these days so I go where the fish are

and the more time Ive got the harder water I go to

davie

Reaction score
if johnny foreigner keeps up his custom and practice, the way things are going all waters are going to be hard. my own personal preference is much like cakeys i`m usually restricted by time, when are they going to give us an 8 day week..

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"an 8 day week would certainly help"

Yes, but then the barstewards would decide that we should work 7 days and have one day of.

Fishing is fishing is fishing, typically a bait at one end and fool at the other.

(who was it who quoted that first?)

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Speci, you talking lakes or rivers here? Not that it makes much difference, it's just that like Cakey, my time is very limited (small bundle of joy arrived in April, it's going to be a few years yet before he can come with me!)

I guess one way of looking at it is while they're happy at the farm pond (and good luck to 'em), we'll have more space on the hard lakes or rivers.

I'm lucky - I livewithin about five mins of the Thames in Abingdon, so if I can scrapeout of work an hour earlier than normal, it can mean two hours on the bank. Not perfect, but better thannot going. I had a session last night whereI only had two bites in two hours - but one of those bites was a 6lb 8oz chub (new pb).I got loads more satisfaction from that one fish than a netfull of pasties would have broughtme, but as long as people are happy with their fishing, fair play to 'em- as Nigel says, brothers of the angle need to recognise and celebrate their similarities (not polarise on the basis of their differences)

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

brothers of the angle need to recognise and celebrate their similarities (not polarise on the basis of their differences)

Very true Jim

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Why should someone who fishes a particular way in a particular place or for a particular species or size think that he/she is better or worse than someone who fishes differently, silly? Not really because snobbery inangling is as old as angling itself, gameanglers used to think they were the only ones that deserved recognition and coarse anglers were just lower class individuals who shouldn't be tolerated nor should the species they fished for.Some carp anglers didn't (some maybe still don't) have the time of day for other anglers, speci anglers couldn't see what pleasure anglers got out of catching small fish, some non match anglers think match angling should be banned.

Hopefully those prejudiced attitudes are changing but they still exist in some anglers minds as sometimes shown on this forum, fishing is fishing is fishing simple as that and if pleasure is achieved by what you do then the object of the exercise is achieved surely.

T

The Monk

It stops being fishing whenone assumed angler is fishing 7 rods & drinking ale and other assumed anglers on the same length arelistening todrum n bass at volume. As was witnessed on the Ribble just recently.

phew! thank god for that Eric, I only use 6 rods and drink lager and listen to electric guitars

C

Cakey

drum and bass on the ribble .....................mobiles not got that far up yet then ?

Specihunter

Reaction score
i meant carp puddles jim and living in bicester there are a few farm ponds but i still enjoy fishing for pleasure graham thats how i get my confidence up when its low but not when catch carp gets to easy then its no fun for me

T

The Monk

down to 6 rods ? broke a couple have we ?

No Mr Cakey I didnt want to tell him how many I really use, or he might think I`m selling them