Sad news about Graham Cornish

m65

Reaction score
Some of you may know from other sources that Graham Cornish of the Chub Study Group passed away last night. Graham was one of the true gentlemen in angling and will be missed by many. In his last days he told me that the letters of support he received were very much appreciated. A very sad day indeed.

beerweasel

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, I can't say I knew him but to lose any brother of the angle is a sad day.
RIP Graham. :w

dezza

Reaction score
Although I never knew Graham Cornish personally, I did know him as a great chub fisher. It is always sad to hear of the death of a fellow angler, especially one as enthusiastic and dedicated as Graham

RIP

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
I knew Graham very well, a true gentleman.

I only have brief info at the moment about his funeral, to be held Peterborough 20th April 12-30. then back to Market Deeping, Stamford, I believe.

I'll post further details should anyone wish attend, or please PM me.

To add to what m65 wrote, Graham loved his letters and never really took to the new age of the internet and e-mails, preferring his old typewriter. Although he did have a mobile phone, given to him by his long time fishing partner Dave Gamble, I doubt he ever switched it on. Probably as near as anyone ever came to being a Mr. Crabtree, and I always had a joke with Graham about him taking an extra bb shot, just in case the Welland was carrying extra water.
R.I.P. Graham, we'll all miss you mate.

Thanks for starting the thread m65.

Last edited:

Trevor Sawyer

Reaction score
Thanks for those details John - I will be there if I possibly can. Graham had been ill for quite a while and many of the Chub Study Group had witnessed a sad decline in his health over the past couple of years. Graham was an unassuming man with a wealth of knowledge and was always prepared to help others to achieve success even at the cost of his own angling. He was responsible for me joining the CSG in 1994 - I met him selling rods at a Country Fair and talk soon turned to chub fishing - and for that I will be forever grateful. He was a very quietly-spoken man and never blew his own trumpet, but in my eyes he didn't need to... his actions spoke louder than words and the help he gave to others was deafening.

Thank you Graham, you will be sorely missed.

Trev

Last edited:

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Sad news indeed, I knew Graham, not that well, but well enough to be on 1st name terms. Bought a fair old bit of tackle from him over the years at various shows he took his stall too. I haven't seen him at any for a few years now probably because he decided it wasn't worthwhile anymore.
RIP Graham no doubt you will be flogging a few bits and pieces to **** Walker and many other long deceased anglers very shortly.