What?.... NO Boilies!!

Shine

Reaction score
I've just joined a second club. They have lakes about a mile away from me. I thought I would be a nice change to try and catch carp carp without boilies (plus the days when I want to go fishing but cant bebothered going far).

The club rules say... no boilies of any kind, no hemp etc, no hook bigger than a size 10.

These are medium size lakes with carp in the 20's.

Would this put you off fishing a lake like this? Or would you like it? Carp fishing without boilies.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
No.

I have fished a few places with the "no boillie" rule.

I still think that boillies chucked in by the bucket full should be stopped, but a couple on a stringer or one as a hook bait should not be a problem, like any "artifical" feed, too much is not good for the natural balance.

I am a great believer in restricting the amount of ground bait, I have seen 10's of pounds of this thrown in too, what is that doing to the food chain?

Shine

Reaction score
what is that doing to the food chain?

Good point mithrandir. There's carp, bream, tench, pike, roach and other fish in these lakes. Maybe thats why there's a no boilie rule. I was wondering why.

Deanos

Reaction score
As carp fishing is responsible for so much innovation as regards the modern day approach to course angling, I would look on the no boilie rule as a brilliant way to hone your skills.

If you can still use pva for stringers with meat, pva pellet bags, get cracking,the old carp lads on FM drop BIG hints about the use of say Maze, loads of other particles to try.

In the end it may make you an even better carper...great challenge, go for it!!!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I am useing boilies less and less at the moment. I have sat by too many waters recently watching everybody blanking on boilies. They could be getting to be too much of a good thing.

Julian Barber

Reaction score
When is a boilie not a boilie /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

When its paste in a boilie cage /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Its not breaking the rules, just a matter of interpretation. Surely a boilie has to be boiled ?

F

Frothey

yeah, piling meat and maggots into a water is much safer than boilies.......

A

andy driver

Wrap paste round a cork ball - same smell, same taste but totally fish and lake friendly. You just have to re-cast every 1-2 hours and the attractors are released steadily until all the paste is dissolved.

A

andy driver

Forgot to mention - put a thin layer on the cork ball first and weigh it down like a pop-up. Then add a second layer so you have a bottom bait for an hour or so then a pop up when half the paste is dissolved - two rigs from one cast!!

Reaction score
A boilie ban ? I would love it , I use boilies but only becouse on most carp waters they will in the main only respond to the boilie and if you are on a short session you have to go with the flow .

A boilie ban on my waters would half the membership becouse the other half would not know how to fish without them but there again it would half the number of carp anglers in this country so not all bad. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Shine

Reaction score
Some nice idea's to be getting on there. Maggots, meat, paste, maze etc.Thanks.

Someone there told me lob worms. Great I thought, another bait to use.

Whats the difference between a lob worm a Mr wriggly in my garden?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I just think that people need to be reminded periodically, that there is more to catching carp than just useing boilies.

F

Frothey

its just clubs need reminding that banning boilies wont sort out their water quality (especially if you allow meat baits and pellets) and make fish any easier to catch.

still, it saves actually researchingthings before making decisions...... just ban it!

C

Cakey

Ive said this a few times before on FM but one of my club lakes has a boilie ban aand the weird thing is it allows tiger nuts

C

Cakey

cant remember all the cons now but you wrap paste around a cork ball fixed to a rig and freeze it ,take these to the lake still frozen in a flask ........they are called icies

same again paste wrapped around cork ball take them to the lake and hang them to dry.....they are called airies

the list goes on but I cant remember more at the mo

Shine

Reaction score
Ive said this a few times before on FM but one of my club lakes has a boilie ban aand the weird thing is it allows tiger nuts...

Same as this one cakey. tiger nuts, brazil nuts etc ok.

I'm looking up how you prepear brazil nuts. Can any of you kind people tell me <u>exactly </u>how it should be done?

F

Frothey

carefully. they are really expensive and most float - you need to keep them pressed under the water whilst soaking and boiling them. just do a few for hookbaits and fish over crushed tigers/hemp

Shine

Reaction score
Thats what I got told frothey. Just use one on the rig and thats all. How do I prepear them properly?

Cheers

C

Cakey

I soak for 24 hours then I boil for an hour then back into a bucket in soak for at least another 24hrs before using

in the winter I like to make them salty

ChrisM (ACA)

Reaction score
I learned a bit about baits & bans from reading the Sparsholt book 'A Guide to Management of Carp Fisheries'
I wouldn't ban boilies, perhaps the most nutritionally balanced bait for carp & other fish. I could understand banning high oil pellets and tigers. But the above book doesn't recommend any bait bans as this can tip the balance in terms of the fish getting a nutrionally balanced diet.
If boilies are 'bad' for carp, then why do they consistently keep eating them? the answer does back up Fred Wiltons theories. The issue is the quantity and that is what perhaps needs to be addressed and properley enforced on some waters as opposed to an outright ban.

Re: getting round the ban re: not boiling the paste, one club I wasonce a member of of had obviously got wise to this and stated 'no boilies, paste or other HNV baits in any form' on one of its waters.