unprepared anglers

bigsean

Reaction score
i went for a walk round a local lake yesterday looking for signs of pike, either spawning or young uns already spawned ... and general signs of life (being springtime n all)
i saw 2 little pike about 6 inches long basking in the sun, 2 frogs getting frisky, 6 very small pike (pencil thin), a large shoal of tiny roach fry (i think), and the 6 chunky resident carp .....
as i walked around 2 young lads started fishing on very basic beginner type rods (the type i had at their age) :D both said they were after the roach ...then 2 men showed up with a rod, reel, and float setup each, some maggots and some bread ..... after 5 mins or so a big ghost carp which is easily a high double came thru their swim on the surface .... straight away then men were getting excited and switching their maggot for bread and casting towards it ....unimpressed, the ghostie left the party lol
the point i'm making is, they had no landing net, no unhooking mat, and i think 1 disgorger between them .... imagine if they had hooked that or any of the carp!!!! it would have been a total farce and they would probably have damaged a very impressive fish
when will these idiots ever learn?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bet they had no licence ether!!
I once told a guy off for lure fishing (for pike) with no landing net, no mat and no un-hooking gear! When will these idiots ever learn?

MARK

flightliner

Reaction score
Saw someone fishing the river Don this afternoon . . .

I was on the river Sheaf going for the resident (?) brown trout. Last year on almost the exact day I had eight, today not so much as a sniff--- I wasnt prepared for that!!!

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

Bet he has no licence ether....tight buggers those dee-daa's!!!!

Na den dee! less 't dee daa's da Sheep ------r!

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Sean you just have to accept that this happens I am afraid , its sometimes expected with kids , adults should know better though

dangermouse

Reaction score
I was on the river Sheaf going for the resident (?) brown trout. Last year on almost the exact day I had eight, today not so much as a sniff--- I wasnt prepared for that!!!

I very much doubt the teenager I saw today was fishing for trout, although I could be wrong.

bigsean

Reaction score
benny, the 2 young kids i mentioned saw the ghostie and pulled their line out of the water, they were mesmerized by it, but knew they hadnt a hope in hell of catching it .... the 2 adults on the other bank didnt have as much brains between em tho, and even when i said 'u might hook it, but u'll never land it'
they replied with 'dont worry about it mate, we caught loads of fish on ere before'
brain dead or wot?

shelly

Reaction score
benny, the 2 young kids i mentioned saw the ghostie and pulled their line out of the water, they were mesmerized by it, but knew they hadnt a hope in hell of catching it .... the 2 adults on the other bank didnt have as much brains between em tho, and even when i said 'u might hook it, but u'll never land it'
they replied with 'dont worry about it mate, we caught loads of fish on ere before'
brain dead or wot?

This is not meant to be a dig at anyone but brain dead or just required help to gain the knowledge, like you said everyone starts somewhere. That’s what makes me laugh about the so-called knowledgeable ones; they often don’t want to share their knowledge in a helpful manner. I’m not saying this was the case in your situation as I wasn’t there but its certainly is often the case, you only have to read some of the threads on here to realise that. A recent thread where someone spelt the word coarse wrongly is a good example of unhelpfulness, the way to help people is to make them feel welcome not ridicule them.

We are all at different levels with regard to our own knowledge of fishing but nothing would give me more pleasure than to pass on the little knowledge I have if I thought it was going to help someone. I sometimes think having read some of the threads on here that’s its more of a competition of who has the most knowledge but its often the case that those who have the better knowledge of the written word and are able to express them selves better than others that they think this makes them the most knowledgeable in fishing terms, I’m not so sure this is always the case. It’s meant to be an enjoyable past time, or should I have said sport, now that’s probably started a different debate:rolleyes: but whatever category we want to put it in does really need this high level of competitiveness or should we be prepared to help others more often.

Just my thoughts.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is not meant to be a dig at anyone but brain dead or just required help to gain the knowledge, like you said everyone starts somewhere. That’s what makes me laugh about the so-called knowledgeable ones; they often don’t want to share their knowledge in a helpful manner. I’m not saying this was the case in your situation as I wasn’t there but its certainly is often the case, you only have to read some of the threads on here to realise that. A recent thread where someone spelt the word coarse wrongly is a good example of unhelpfulness, the way to help people is to make them feel welcome not ridicule them.

We are all at different levels with regard to our own knowledge of fishing but nothing would give me more pleasure than to pass on the little knowledge I have if I thought it was going to help someone. I sometimes think having read some of the threads on here that’s its more of a competition of who has the most knowledge but its often the case that those who have the better knowledge of the written word and are able to express them selves better than others that they think this makes them the most knowledgeable in fishing terms, I’m not so sure this is always the case. It’s meant to be an enjoyable past time, or should I have said sport, now that’s probably started a different debate:rolleyes: but whatever category we want to put it in does really need this high level of competitiveness or should we be prepared to help others more often.

Just my thoughts.

Hi Shelly,
Some of the things said on here are mostly said in jest and things like ''having a go'' at folk who make spelling mistakes is just leg pulling. I have been known to comment on things like the ''north south divide'' but I don't mean any of it, just my sense of humour, but everybody on here will give good advise when needed.
Please don't take everything to heart!
Oh, and welcome to the forum, you will have a great time!

take care

Mark

bigsean

Reaction score
hi shelly and welcome to the forum,
my brain dead comment was meant as a tongue in cheek way, because even though i said they'd never land the carp if they hooked it, they didnt wanna hear it .... in my opinion the 2 young lads were far more aware, as they wound in their lightweight float rigs and just admired the big ghost carp swimming through their swim!!
as for being a knowledge snob and looking down my nose at ppl with less knowledge/ experience ... i've been on the receiving end of that sort of rhing myself many times, so i only ever try to offer advice if i think its needed